The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the local internet flea market when suddenly I saw this for sale:

Those never show on here, so I called the guy for a price quote which was funny (the price, not the guy).
2 days later and half hour train round trip it was mine - August 1980 6309-7049 with beautiful patina dial,
grey "water" and "resist" and matched patina on the hands, that had some corrosion on them.
No bezel, scracthed crystal and case, but the rest was all original, including the GL831 strap!

Movement was running and stopping so I had to replace it with an almost new one I had.
The hands were polished using a 5000 grit polish cloth, and all gaskets were replaced
with a set I had ready for such occasion ;D , and of course - a bezel with an original insert.
Pressure test is mandatory, and this vintage diver had no problems passing it.

This is my 3rd 704x, and the best so far, running +4sec a day. and I love it. Will it be my last?
When do we say "I have enough examples of this model"?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What a nice find ! And an impressive job restoring it, it looks great and I admire the vintage diver look of it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Galpo, this is a stunning 6309! :-\ Congratulations for the resto, brother! The difference a nice bezel makes to a diver's watch is day and night. Real sweet find, man. Talk about being at the right palce, at the right time.

Regards,
CHRIS

·
Registered
26,043 Posts
Well, I hope it never stops for me :57: I have a few original 7040's on the way and am looking forward to there arrival :great: One is going to get Custom work done for a Summer Sailing Companion :)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Nicely done Gal., You should send your seller a pictyre of what the watch looks like now that it has received a little TLC. :clap:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, nice to remember this find, I almost forgot it.
The original post was almost a year ago.
I was stupid enough to relume the dial and hands
but it lights like a tourch at night and this 7040 was
at a test dive and a number of times swimming with me
at the mediteranian sea. No problems of course.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice find! I recently acquired one and very happy about it. Yours with the GL831 strap is a big bonus :great: Great work putting it back to life!

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
I don't think it ever stops, which is a good thing, I think.... ;)

Great find and restoration, very satisfying I'm sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts