The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a quick introductory post with some phone-quality macros of my 1985 water 150m resist HK 6309 7049.

I took a chance and bought this from a seller with not-great pictures. Turned out to be a real gem on arrival. The Promethium lume is creamy with zero degradation/rot and the water resist printing is still reddish orange with minimal fading.

Regards,

J

·
Special Member
3,216 Posts
Excellent first post from a New Member and Welcome to the Forum. The 6309 is a favorite here and your introductory post is a real winner. Beautiful watch, great photos, description, and comments.

Well Done and Welcome!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This the same watch from the bay? I wanted that! Lol. Nice catch and if I'm not mistaken it was last serviced in 2016 which is great for the price.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
12,648 Posts
Excellent first post from a New Member and Welcome to the Forum. The 6309 is a favorite here and your introductory post is a real winner. Beautiful watch, great photos, description, and comments.

Well Done and Welcome!
I'll seconds that! Nice photos. Welcome.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Looks nice

This the same watch from the bay? I wanted that! Lol. Nice catch and if I'm not mistaken it was last serviced in 2016 which is great for the price.

If it was serviced in 2016 they didn’t bother to change the case back gasket, I’d take the service history with a pinch of salt! I’ve just serviced one for a gent who sent it to me for a repair and was sold to him as recently serviced, all the seals were original and it most certainly wasn’t ‘just serviced’ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Looks nice

If it was serviced in 2016 they didn’t bother to change the case back gasket, I’d take the service history with a pinch of salt! I’ve just serviced one for a gent who sent it to me for a repair and was sold to him as recently serviced, all the seals were original and it most certainly wasn’t ‘just serviced’ :rolleyes:
Curious, how'd you know about the caseback? I've traced back this watch from the original owner who bought it at an airforce base in the 80s. Then spoke to the second owner who bought this watch with the the gl831 strap, box and military paperwork and had it serviced at Hub City Vintage in 2016. Sadly all that didn't get passed on to the 4th owner.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Curious, how'd you know about the caseback? I've traced back this watch from the original owner who bought it at an airforce base in the 80s. Then spoke to the second owner who bought this watch with the the gl831 strap, box and military paperwork and had it serviced at Hub City Vintage in 2016. Sadly all that didn't get passed on to the 4th owner.

Just the look of the gasket I’m talking about, it looks older than a couple of years (flat) They don’t normally look like that at that young age.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Hah, small world in the vintage Seiko realm--it is indeed that same watch, and yes the seller stated it was serviced in 2016. The case/crown gaskets were bone dry when I received the watch but the movement seemed to run fine, thus far it has been consistently +16/d. I haven't hooked it up to a timegrapher yet to check for amplitude and positional variance. I bought it under the pessimistic assumption that I'd need to do some work to get it running properly (and just to be clear, I am 100% happy with the description provided by the seller and its condition upon arrival).

At any rate, after greasing up the caseback and crown gaskets, I put the watch in my homemade pressure tester and verified that it is water tight to 6ATM (about the limit of my apparatus). Not bad for a 34-year-old watch

I've traced back this watch from the original owner who bought it at an airforce base in the 80s. Then spoke to the second owner who bought this watch with the the gl831 strap, box and military paperwork and had it serviced at Hub City Vintage in 2016. Sadly all that didn't get passed on to the 4th owner.

I would really, really love to hear more about this. The fact that it came from an AFB would have some additional significance to me. Unfortunately I can't send you a PM yet (maybe you can send me one)? I definitely didn't receive anything apart from the watch and the strap, it would be a shame to lose the story that you've tracked this far.

Just the look of the gasket I’m talking about, it looks older than a couple of years (flat) They don’t normally look like that at that young age.

Thanks for pointing this out--I thought the flattened gasket was by design. The watch is currently waterproof (at least to 6ATM), but I'll buy and install a new gasket set to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'd don't want to sound like I'm dissing HCV but could this be a result of inferior gaskets?
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Hah, small world in the vintage Seiko realm--it is indeed that same watch, and yes the seller stated it was serviced in 2016. The case/crown gaskets were bone dry when I received the watch but the movement seemed to run fine, thus far it has been consistently +16/d. I haven't hooked it up to a timegrapher yet to check for amplitude and positional variance. I bought it under the pessimistic assumption that I'd need to do some work to get it running properly (and just to be clear, I am 100% happy with the description provided by the seller and its condition upon arrival).

At any rate, after greasing up the caseback and crown gaskets, I put the watch in my homemade pressure tester and verified that it is water tight to 6ATM (about the limit of my apparatus). Not bad for a 34-year-old watch

I would really, really love to hear more about this. The fact that it came from an AFB would have some additional significance to me. Unfortunately I can't send you a PM yet (maybe you can send me one)? I definitely didn't receive anything apart from the watch and the strap, it would be a shame to lose the story that you've tracked this far.

Thanks for pointing this out--I thought the flattened gasket was by design. The watch is currently waterproof (at least to 6ATM), but I'll buy and install a new gasket set to be on the safe side.

I'll PM you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts