The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Special Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of an idea than a project right now so I won't post photos until I get some feedback from you guys...
I have several 6309's. All original dials except for one.
I really love everything about the 6309's. I wouldn't change a thing.
But I also love the 6105's. The problem is that I don't always have piles of extra cash lying around when the 6105 I want is for sale.
I recently was able to purchase an original 6105 dial in decent condition. It has some aging, but looks really good when mounted in a watch case.
I was considering taking one of my 6309's apart and replacing the am hands and dial with the original 6105 dial and some original hands.
I'm sure this has been done before, but most of what I have seen out there has an am 6105 dial and hands.
If I used original parts, I would be staying true to my purist values, while at the same time, restoring a 6309 that has am parts. Sort of messing with the time/space continuum be reversing a poorly executed am job.
The benefit would be a screw down crown and a dial and hands that I love looking at.
This could be called a "poor man's 6105", but I will likely have $450-$500 in the watch by the time I'm done.
Please chime in with your ideas and comments or let me know what you would do different.
I've got to do something with this dial and the 6309 with am parts doesn't have to be changed back to original...if I tried to go around switching back all the am 6309's, I'd never get done...even if parts were available. I'm just thinking about what I have in my own watch case.
Perhaps a different mod altogether for the 6309 with an am dial/hands?
Maybe nice to have one that's already changed from original that I could alter to my liking without sacrificing the nice original 6105 dial and hands?
Maybe those parts have a better purpose?
All comments appreciated.
Will post pictures in a bit.

·
Special Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures of original 6105 dial

Here's the pictures of the 6105 dial; both in and out of the case.
When I saw the dial, I didn't have any project in mind; I just wanted the dial.
Even if never makes it into a case, I like the dial.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
To quote you on one part of your post, "If I used original parts, I would be staying true to my purist values", if you fit the 6105 dial and original hands to a 6309 case you will have what is known by purists as a "Franken watch" not a restored watch. If your going to mod a watch in any way shape or form, you will have to de-purist yourself first.

Cast out those demons, praise be to Seiko, hallelujah, and all that stuff.

Joking apart, as i see it you have 2 ways to go. youve got the dial, now find the other parts and build a 6105 as a long term project.
Hint, some 7005's use the same hour minute hands as the 6105, and iirc 6106A & B mainplate's and other movement parts are the same as the 6105, research required.
The down side is, that it will probably have cost you more than the watch is worth when complete, but that cost is spread over a long term, not one initial big layout. You may also go insane chasing hard to find parts.

Option 2, is to install the dial into the 6309 case, (remember what i said about 7005 hands) if it looks good to you and your happy with it, thats all that matters. Sod the purist's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aquaman
I am looking at doing the same conversion. I have a 6309-7040 with a scubapro 200m dial. I don't like the dial so I want to convert it back to something more 'Seiko'. As I am not likely to ever afford a 6105, not the way the Aussie dollar is nose diving so I thought the same as you, and bugger the purists. I don't have an original dial and recently purchased a replica which the more I look at, is bloody awful. I've since found a much better replica which i will purchase shortly. I'm also looking at a 6309 coin edge bezel which i believe are being manufactured as we speak by Yobokies. i think that will finish it off nicely. There's a thread about the bezels on this forum.
Regards

Wade Adams

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Wade and welcome to the forum.

When you say "replica", am I correct in thinking that you are talking about "aftermarket"?

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Aquaman welcome to the forum!

Since you have several 6309, I would sell off 2 of them, including the one with the non-original dial. Then save up a little to buy a 6105. I think you should stay the course and get what you originally wanted. Even getting a half decent 6105 is still better then the route you intend to take IMHO.

rgds

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
In agreement with previous posts, however it would be nice to see genuine parts where this mod is concerned.

The typical AM dial looks awful, but a genuine 6105 dial, well it might look pretty good!

Think Mike did eventually get a nice 6105, so all's well that ends well.

·
Special Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the encouraging comments. And yes, I did find that 6105; reference "the long journey"..
Special thanks to Bodo for helping me evaluate what I had found.
And really, that watch, along with the 6306 should have been enough.
But now there's a Tuna on the way from L. A.
I guess it's not so much of a rare find, but it had box and papers and was in as new condition.
I'll post it when it gets here.
As to the surplus of 6309's, I'm in the process of sorting this out. Still have the 6105 dial and will restore this as needed and fit it inside the 6309 with the am dial. This will allow me to have a daily driver 6105 as the one I ended up with is a double edged sword; great watch, but too nice to wear often.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Keep us up to date, Mike! And a pleasure to help, but really it's others on here I've learned from that have given me a very basic understanding, so credit to those who post here regularly.

Looking forward to seeing the 6309 with an actual 6105 dial. I don't think I've ever seen that mod done with a genuine dial, but then I haven't searched it out a great deal.

I can't wait to be in a position where I can start purchasing some Seiko that I want again...

·
Registered
778 Posts
are 6105 the holy grail of divers? or just a must for any collection

I'd say neither. They are very nice.. But I wouldn't say the holy grail of Seiko divers. A must for a collection? Well, that's up to you I guess.

I have a 6105 and love it but I actually find I wear my Quartz 6309/7548 hybrids more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Miklz,
That's the question we'd all like an answer to. If you read my post "The Long Journey" {I think there are part one and two of that post...you'll have to look through my posts}..in any case, people have different opinions on this subject.
Some would say the 6105 is a must-have for any collector and for some, it just might be the Holy Grail but in both cases, the answer is always subjective.
I had always read the opinions of others here on the forum regarding the 6105 and didn't fully understand until I actually got one. For myself, it's not a must have or the Holy Grail.
It's just that it feels so good to wear it. The way the case is designed provides a level of comfort that I've just never experienced when wearing a watch.
It feels heavy when you get and hold it in your hand but then when you put it on your wrist, it feels light.
Very balanced and so comfortable that you really don't notice that you have it on. And you could wear it all day and it still feels the same.
I suppose that it's just an added benefit that the watch is somewhat rare. And I would guess that's the reason these watches are so costly now.
But cost is relative. When I got mine, the seller told me that he prefers Rolex watches and is accustomed to spending many thousands for just one watch. So the fact that he chose to have the 6105 in his collection meant that in his view, it was regarded with respect to a form of elegance; so much so, that he considered it an equal to the others in his collection.
In the end, having the 6105 didn't change my life much, but this one in particular is beautiful to look at and amazing to wear.
If you decide to get one, try to get the nicest example you can. Even if it costs more than one that needs work. These watches are old and most movements need service. You'll see dials and hands rotted from moisture baking inside the case, crystals that need replacement and cases that are scratched.
Those watches will still be expensive but a well cared for example won't be that much more and then, when you wear that "Holy Grail", and you look down at your wrist, you'll know why you bought it in the first place...stunning to look at and super comfortable.
Good luck on your journey!
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts