The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a seiko 6309-7040 dive watch, all original, circa, 1983, the outer rotating ring is pretty stiff, and not that easy to turn, is this a click ball type? Or something like the large spring/circlip type?
What’s best to make it a bit smoother?
Regards,
Ian

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Click ball.
Mask off the case, find the small notch in the rotating ring, use a sharp knife or caseback tool, levering it slightly upwards in different areas so as not to deform the ring, remove it, clean it, install a fresh gasket, place one end on the side with the click ball, press into the case edge and down on the opposite side.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
I don't really bother to be honest, but you could use a finger cot and run the gasket through your fingers to give it the lightest of coatings, much like a caseback gasket...you don't need much and it's probably best leaving the gasket for the rotating ring clean of it as it can attract dirt and dust....but would take a long time to do any damage and you'd need to rotate it quite often for it to wear the surfaces as a result in my mind...

Stretch it a little so it sits snug in the groove, otherwise it can get trapped when installing the ring...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts