The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after some advice. I have owned my 6309-7040 for about 2-3 years. Serviced last year. very good condition and running very well, love this watch.
How can you tell how original the parts are? or if they have been changed at some stage.
hopefully the pictures are good to see the condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sticking my neck out, I'd say after market bezel insert, and if my memory is correct, if you have the Suwa symbol on the dial, it should say 'Japan A' on the case back.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
First thing I always think of is to be wary of an old watch that has perfect condition hands, dial and especially bezel insert, also the day/date window should have a bevel to it and AM's are normally flat.

·
Administrator
32,844 Posts
Looks "nice" but.................after market dial, wrong insert, wrong case back as Steve says but is an original case back, can't really see with the hands.

If your happy then alls good.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Yep, my first 6309 7040 was also full of AM parts - I asked the guys here before I bought so I knew exactly what I was getting and was able to negotiate accordingly. A few high quality AM replacements and I love it. I thought I'd sell it when I found a good original example but now I have I'm not sure I can give it up.

Don't worry, it's still a great watch to wear and enjoy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421795516.744826.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well just remember you can always keep you eye out for genuine parts and replace them as you can...looks like a nice watch...and keep your eye out for a original untouched one too

·
Ultimate Collector
3,273 Posts
I try to buy all original watches, but I can live with some aftermarket parts, - except the dial. It would drive me mad.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,273 Posts
Looks "nice" but.................after market dial, wrong insert, wrong case back as Steve says but is an original case back, can't really see with the hands.

If your happy then alls good.
Do you think the case back is probably correct for the watch, and it is the aftermarket (fake) dial that is wrong?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think i agree with tritto, will keep my eye out for an original, (using all the good advice i have had here) but will keep wearing and enjoying this one till another comes along.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You have to replace parts on a classic car

My thinking is to maintain any vintage mechanical piece that you actually use, you will have to replace parts here and there over 40+ years. Why not replace them with quality aftermarket parts that will look crisp, last longer, lume better and fit properly. As long as you know what you are purchasing I see no harm it it.

When trying to maintain or purchase "original" pieces or parts you put yourself at risk of fraud from those willing to take advantage of you. If the part/piece is advertised as original and is too good to be true, it probably is. I have seen some parts advertised as aftermarket but have the vintage/patina look and look pretty good too.

The important thing is to buy what you want. Original or Aftermarket!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421940403.900615.jpg

By chance I'm wearing mine today.

This is (hopefully) my all original Seiko 6309 7040 from 1985. It has the dial version (Singapore made for areas other than America?) with 6309-704 M T at the bottom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks guys, bought it on eBay a few years back, it was the guys brothers and had only really been worn for best, has a few scratches on the Hardlex and bezel insert, but generally very nice condition...having owned probably a dozen of these over time (mainly modified and a few Phillipines specials) it's lovely to see the original edges and finish etc
I quizzed him before buying as it looked too clean, the dials and hands seem to have so much wabi on a lot of all original pieces.

I love this one...maybe one day I'll get an all original 6105 to sit next to it...but finding a decent one that's not a silly price is getting near impossible

1 - 20 of 54 Posts