The Watch Site banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Special Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a guy I've bought a couple of parts watches from has the seiko diver for sale. The pics are terrible low res and I can't tell if the dial is original. He says the guy he had it off had it from new. He doesn't even identify it as a 7040. Can you tell anything at all from these pics?
Thanks,
Tristan

Watch accessory Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Jewellery
Auto part
Watch Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Measuring instrument

Another pic

·
Special Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Although I know my way around a 6139, I've never looked too closely at the divers watches so cant pick the flaws. If I ever get a 7040/7049, it will be as original as I can find, or a junker that I can enjoy rebuilding with what parts I can source - the fun is in the chase.

Cheers,
Tristan

·
Special Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help guys. With confirmation of extensive aftermarket parts I was able to negotiate a substantial reduction in the asking price - to a level where I was confident that if I wasn't happy with the watch I could move it on honestly without making a loss. So I purchased it. It's my first diver and I'd rather try one out before making any substantial investment.

So, it's definitely aftermarket dial, hands, bezel insert and the crystal has a few marks. The good news is that the movement is relatively clean (and genuine Dahasco :) and keeping fairly good time in the watch box. Also, the case doesn't appear to have ever been polished - retaining its machine brushing on the top, although worn at the lugs. There is no evidence of any corrosion to the case or movement. There is also evidence inside the caseback of several watchmakers marking it at service.

I think I'll get myself a cheap NATO and wear it for a while before deciding whether to keep it or not. I've never been a diver and I do feel a bit of a fraud wearing a large diving watch. Also, I don't know that it's going to fit under the cuffs of my work shirts.

I'm extremely tempted to get under the hood and at least clean the case thoroughly. However, without a press I'm not sure if I'll get the crystal retaining ring and the bezel back on. It's missing the movement spring and I read they're hard to find- is there any DIY solution?

Anyway, here are some better pics that I've taken.
Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Metal
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

edit: and another positive, the bezel clicks nicely.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
If it was a good deal and not expensive..

tritto,
I would just work it till it was restored to what I wanted,
if I was going to keep it. Just hustle some parts to redo it.
They are nice to have even if ....AM ....parts in them,
that can be removed.
Get a Wrecking Bar and pop the case back and do a job on it.
If you got it cheap, why not.
AM parts do not stop me at all ............ tritto.

·
Special Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks LongBike.

I guess it's the shiny newness of the aftermarket dial and hands that bother me. They clash with the worn crystal and bezel insert (even though they're also AM). Perhaps a new crystal and bezel insert will complete the newish look.

I'm waiting on a nato so I can wear it for a while to see if it's a keeper. I'm the meantime I'm slowly regulating it on my desk at work. It's running a little slow, but by the time the strap arrives I should have that sorted.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
hey i have never turned down a watch with aftermarket parts..just have to buy it with the idea that those parts can be resold to get some funds back..if you bought it right...then you did a great job...i love the original parts but they can be very hard to find and expensive too..always great to see another old watch loved again..it looks very nice how it is now too...John

·
Special Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update to this thread.

Thanks to the excellent resources on the SCWF, I've restored this watch a condition I'm happy with for the moment.

Thanks toTheTigerUk for the 6309 Project threads, which I followed all the way through, I stripped the case down to its components and cleaned everything thoroughly. A new case spring was sourced from Daveeb, and double domed sapphire crystal and bezel insert from Yobobies. All of which are of excellent quality.

A little hand regulating has got it keeping time to about 3 seconds per day, and the final piece on the puzzle was a Hirsch Liberty as part of my birthday present from my better half. I think the Liberty is a perfect match for such a large workhorse of a watch.

Even with the aftermarket parts, this is a great watch to wear. I'm keeping my eye out for a good original dial and hands, but there's no hurry.

Pics, or it didn't happen 😃
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Special Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I highly recommend Hirsch straps. I've had several styles and they've all been fantastic. Although it looks solid, this one is supple right out of the box.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts