The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Difficult to say Nick... I am pretty sure it is aftermarket, but the resolution isn't good enough and the hour hand is covering some of the text.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Difficult to say Nick... I am pretty sure it is aftermarket, but the resolution isn't good enough and the hour hand is covering some of the text.

Hi mate I took some better photos for you with my macro lens. For all the hype of iPhone 6 cameras sometimes they really aren't that flash.. Also, would you say the hands look original? I know the hour hand is back to front for some reason.. i received the watch as is, as a parts watch. Thankfully, the movement seems to work fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
In comparison to my original 7548 dial I notice the potentially aftermarket 6309 has some distinct differences. The water resist seems quite a blotchy heavy text whereas the 7548 is nice and flat with a satin sheen, as opposed to the gloss of the 6309.

I'm now wondering if the hands are original though. You can see original 6309 hands on my 6309-7040. I have a gut feeling they are aftermarket, the 6309-7290 hands are a lot thinner. Unless they changed also over from the earlyer 6309..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
In what way would you say they are all wrong?

I don't mind if they aren't correct as it's purely a parts watch, essentially the movement is the only thing i'd want to use.. just interested in learning about them as much as i enjoy learning about the other Seikos i've got.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
(This is no -704x, but for the sake of discussion...)

I also think it's completely aftermarket.
a) it's green. Original -729x were once greenish, but never that green and would now mostly be faded to gray.
b) the silver outline of the markers has sharp corners. Originally they are rounded.

See here (image taken from Isthmus' "How to buy a 6309 diver"):

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
The text isn't good either. The Water 150m Resist text looks crude and the 5 is nearly always wrong on AM dials. The dial code font isn't right and the Suwa emblem is crude.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for this thread.
A terrific and deepenig addition to the legendary "how to buy a seiko 6309 diver" thread by isthmus/gabe. Everybody who is new to this topic does benefit from this horn of plenty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi guys, I have question regarding Hong Kong casebacks and dial. I have 6309 with original dial 704 N (yes N!) T with small Suwa logo. The caseback is from 1983 without Japan, so do you think it can be proper, whole watch?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
On the topic of bevelled date windows and bad lighting:
We had a discussion about fake dials and this one was put forth by the owner (OldeCrow) as a fake one:

The obvious feature being the non-bevelled date window.

However, all other indicators seemed to point to an original one. OldeCrow then took new pics and voilà:

A nice bevel! And a good example on how the dial text should look on a later "cased HongKong" dial.

(Thanks OldeCrow for letting me use your pictures!)

Hi guys, I have question regarding Hong Kong casebacks and dial. I have 6309 with original dial 704 N (yes N!) T with small Suwa logo. The caseback is from 1983 without Japan, so do you think it can be proper, whole watch?
Show us some pictures! :grin:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've looked over this thread with much interest and noticed a difference between real and fake dials, I think, that may be helpful. It looks to me that on the line of text " WATER 150M RESIST" the middle horizontal line on each "E" in WATER and RESIST is shorter than the upper and lower horizontal lines on the real dials. On the fakes however all three horizontal lines on the "E" in WATER and RESIST are the same length. I could be completely wrong on this and please forgive me if this is the case. I am interested in buying the original and am just doing my homework. If my grades in high school and college are any indication, I am off my rocker with this observation.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've looked over this thread with much interest and noticed a difference between real and fake dials, I think, that may be helpful. It looks to me that on the line of text " WATER 150M RESIST" the middle horizontal line on each "E" in WATER and RESIST is shorter than the upper and lower horizontal lines on the real dials. On the fakes however all three horizontal lines on the "E" in WATER and RESIST are the same length. I could be completely wrong on this and please forgive me if this is the case. I am interested in buying the original and am just doing my homework. If my grades in high school and college are any indication, I am off my rocker with this observation.
Yes, this is true for the Loy fakes at least. But a good point and I'll add it to the trivia.

Don't forget when talking about the bevel round the day date window, the bevel is very slight and hard to see on the non suwa 6309 models.
This is already in the trivia, right at the start under "Variants" and on this page shown with photos from OldenCrow.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts