The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
30,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the benefits of having a 6306 over my 6309 ?

Mine has one of Pete Ks superb hacking kits installed in it and a kanji day wheel, am i missing out on anything by not having a 6306 ?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
What are the benefits of having a 6306 over my 6309 ?

Mine has one of Pete Ks superb hacking kits installed in it and a kanji day wheel, am i missing out on anything by not having a 6306 ?

[/quote]

Some contend that the 6306 case is slightly different...something about the crown cut out.

By the way, that's a nice bracelet. Where's it from?

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
64 Posts
Beautiful Seiko! Personally I like to keep these vintage Seiko divers as original as possible. I LOVE the 6306 (have another incoming ;D ). But whatever make you happy is just as COOL! Cheers-Ronbo

·
Administrator
30,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Selym said:
Some contend that the 6306 case is slightly different...something about the crown cut out.

By the way, that's a nice bracelet. Where's it from?

Best,
Myles
Thanks Myles it is a really nice quality bracelet, i got it from the bay with a 7A38 !!! but it was not on it as the seller said they dident have the end pieces ha ha i only actually bought the watch for the bracelet. I tried to find out what the bracelet came off and couldent and then a couple of weeks ago my son brought me one of his friends watches for a new battery, it was a modern seiko chronograph and it had this same bracelet on it but i now forget what model it was :(

·
Super Moderator
3,019 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
am i missing out on anything by not having a 6306 ?

From a purely technical standpoint, you are missing out on 4 extra jewels, which both increase longevity and foster better oil retention in those given locations. The 6309 doesn't even bother to jewel itself at the upper third wheel and second wheel locations- what a slob! In addition to wearing out over time, metal bushings do not retain oil as well as corundum-based jewels do- it can migrate away in metal bushings.

The other two jewels help protect the upper escape wheel and third wheel pivots' lubrication from degrading as quickly as it would without the Diafix system in place. One could also argue that friction is reduced at these points in the dial up position. I sleep better at night knowing my 6306 is thusly accoutered, wouldn't you? [holds tip of nose high in the air]

·
Administrator
30,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rileynp said:
From a purely technical standpoint, you are missing out on 4 extra jewels, which both increase longevity and foster better oil retention in those given locations. The 6309 doesn't even bother to jewel itself at the upper third wheel and second wheel locations- what a slob! In addition to wearing out over time, metal bushings do not retain oil as well as corundum-based jewels do- it can migrate away in metal bushings.

The other two jewels help protect the upper escape wheel and third wheel pivots' lubrication from degrading as quickly as it would without the Diafix system in place. One could also argue that friction is reduced at these points in the dial up position. I sleep better at night knowing my 6306 is thusly accoutered, wouldn't you? [holds tip of nose high in the air]
Noah i have just thrown my 6309 in the rubbish bin !! what a looser it is in comparison to the 6306 !! i could just never now bring myself to wear the poor relative ever again !! then again i think i will :)

Thanks for that

·
Registered
964 Posts
I probably have different ways to see things. If I would be divers guy, the 6309-704x would be the "must have" among those two (as it is more common and therefore more representative) and the 6306 would be the "nice to have"-one.
However, a 6306-diver is a nice complement to an 6309-diver!
It's like with an Omega Speedmaster. I had to have a plexi/steel back but of course a sapphire/sapphire would be nice to have in addition.
Or a more budget friendy example: before I bought my first Tissot PR516 GL, I had to have the normal PR516 as that is an real icon of the 60s/70s (even though I like the GL much more).

I know, that most collectors will have different opinion (towards rarety), but that is my philosophy of collecting.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Administrator
30,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
3,019 Posts
Axel66 said:
I probably have different ways to see things. If I would be divers guy, the 6309-704x would be the "must have" among those two (as it is more common and therefore more representative) and the 6306 would be the "nice to have"-one.
However, a 6306-diver is a nice complement to an 6309-diver!

Nothing strange about that to me- I didn't want a 6306-700x until I already had a nice 6309-704x- it seemed "unnatural" in my mind to have the 6306 before the 6309, like I would be skipping out on a duty. Price difference might have played a role subconsciously/consciously- make sure the 6309-704x is all you want it to be before going the extra mile for the 6306-700x, etc.. So there are two of us that think that way!

·
Registered
286 Posts
In noting that three 6306's have recently appeared on SC with asking prices ranging from $700 to $1400 or so, a good compromise solution (clearly not one for the purists) might be simply to install a 6306 movement into a 6309 case, as I have done:

or in an earlier incarnation

You do see 6306 Actus and Silverwave watches appear from time to time, from which you could scavenge a movement - just a little patience and luck required.

Martin

·
Registered
230 Posts
Galpo said:
I've heard that eating beans out of a can for a month or two haven't hurt anyone :D
Not if you live in Californeeyeah. . . i hear they have standards and laws on nasty emissions! Not something to be 'taken' lightly! :))

TheTigerUK said:
Don't hurt you but they do give you the "wind" awfully, you ask my dog he looks at me disgustedly !! :)) :))
I always stay upwind! ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
there are actually a few differences with the 6306 movement

as mentioned jewels- but diashock protection I might be mistaken but it is not on the 6309.

the other differences I think are more about the 'early' cases and probably are not model dependent.

If you have the opportunity to compare cases and casebacks from 6309-7040,6309-7049 6306-7000 and 6306-7001
there are a few things that change over time from the early models from say 76,77,78 to the later mid eighties cases

the crown cutout on some older cases the crown cut out is different- just more pronounced
crown 'splines' the ridges on the crown on some of the older cases are more pronounced as well

sometimes on these older cases the bezel click ball is drilled on the opposite side, meaning 11 vs 1 oclock
and I have seen a 6309 with two bezel holes drilled

and on the case back you will see the wave logo changes in size over time too.

the dial Is a little different too- I notice on the later models 7949 hongkong dials that the printing is whiter,
and on the 6306 dials that I have had ( and I have had a few :) ) the printing is silver not white.

I love all the 6309 and 6306's that I have had- I always come back to them after comparing with other
more modern watches. one of the best crown systems hands down.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've owned several 6309s and a single 6306 (a cherry one, though... ;D ). Ended up keeping the one with dial aging I liked best - one of the 6309s (a 1977 -- all original except for insert; extremely clean and a great runner. I favor the all-Japan (pre HK) dials.). With maintenance every few years, 17 jewels are plenty for a lifetime of use on a three-hand watch. The hack feature is a wash for me: great for setting the time exactly to the Navy clock, but if your watch is running close to +/- 0, you lose a few secs every time you cross a timezone and need to reset.

paul

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
According to the tech pdf- the 6309A has diashock ,but no diafix system is used, maybe the diafix was added to the 6309 "B" spec movement??.

·
Super Moderator
3,019 Posts
7s26b said:
According to the tech pdf- the 6309A has diashock ,but no diafix system is used, maybe the diafix was added to the 6309 "B" spec movement??.

You are correct, the 17 jewel 6309 does not have diafix. Diafix is, however, present in the 6306, where the upper escape wheel and third wheel both have diafix components. I still haven't looked through my donor movements to see what I can see regarding 6309B differences, and haven't been able to find a parts guide (which would show the different parts used vs. the 6309A) on it either. I will go look now, then get interrupted by my wife coming home, then not remember to look again for several weeks. So it goes.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Beautiful examples of both. I just like the hacking feature the best as I am anal about time keeping. I have owned both and they are really the BEST tool watch I have had on my wrist. The weight and crowns on the 6306-6309 are terrific and rival even that of the more expensive diver(s) that begin with "R" :)) . I love the case as well. I have had mine listed too(do not want to sell :'( ) but it appears that the 6306-7000 case is the rarest of these 6306's, thus the hefter price. In the mean time, enjoying it a lot :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts