The Watch Site banner

6306 Scubapro 450 Production dates

19K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  mahamithra 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello chaps,

Been trying to find out the definitive answer but no one seems to know for sure. When were the scuabpro 450 models made?
I thought it was 1978-79, however I've come across a few examples from 1977:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-original-seiko-scubapro-6306-7001-$1-650-a-680277.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-ultra-rare-original-seiko-6306-scubapro-450-a-533448.html

and also saw one on a thread here form 1983?!
So what's the low down?
Also what's the earliest and latest models you've seen?

#3 ·
Yep they don't come up often. When they do it's hard to know what's legitimate and what's not. There doesn't seem to be a definite answer but it would be good to know what the earliest and latest dates of production are. Please do post guys!

#10 · (Edited)
Dear Thorien

I have done a quick search through our forum thread and noted the serial numbers are fixed with first 2 digits.

I like to speculate that there 5 batches of 1,000 units produced for the following years and month:-

serial no. year and month
68xxxx 1976 Aug

71xxxx 1977 Jan

83xxxx 1978 Mar

95xxxx 1979 May (Updated from Mario_d post)

39xxxx 1983 Sept

So the total numbers could be 5,000 pcs. Mario_d stated approximate 3,000 units produced in one of the thread.

This is my speculation, if any opinion please chip in.

Cheers

#15 ·
Dear Thorien

I have done a quick search through our forum thread and noted the serial numbers are fixed with first 2 digits.

I like to speculate that there 5 batches of 1,000 units produced for the following years and month:-

serial no. year and month
68xxxx 1976 Aug

71xxxx 1977 Jan

83xxxx 1978 Mar

95xxxx 1979 May (Updated from Mario_d post)

39xxxx 1983 Sept

So the total numbers could be 5,000 pcs. Mario_d stated approximate 3,000 units produced in one of the thread.

This is my speculation, if any opinion please chip in.

Cheers
Well, if there's 5,000 of the bloody things out there how come I can't find one? - I've been looking for ages. (WTB anyone?)

#16 · (Edited)
Interesting post:

Here is the red2ndhand version that is generally believed to be original. It is a 91XXXX. Previous guesses from the community was that there were no more than two batches produced, one in the late 70s and one around 1983 (presumably to explain the 1983 watch coming up from time to time). I do not think that there was any consensus as to the size of these batches but at least the 1983 batch was not expected to be 1000. Also, if we are getting towards 10 different production months (we already have 6 in this tread), it seems very unlikely that they made 1000 each month or that the total amount would be in the 5-10000 range. I woudl also find it very unlikely that Seiko had casebacks from two different years (a few months could be likely) to produce a larger batch. It is also of some interest that the Seiko Museum has very little knowledge of these watches which woudl be likely if it was a 5-10000 watch production run over many years.

- martin

#18 ·
This Janice&Fred version (also fairly well known sellers) seems to be a 11XXXX.

- martin
Hi Martin

In the photo it looks more like 71xxxxx.

So its still the (77 Jan) batch.

But the the other one that is 91xxxx could be another batch.

In fact I noticed most of them there is a zero at the 3rd digit which could explain that up to 999 pcs for the batch. e.g. 710698 in this picture.

My further speculation

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info chaps and do please keep gathering as much info as possible.
My worry is that some unscrupulous people may have swapped cases or casebacks with 'normal' 6306 7001 watches to improve their specimen, in which case we will never know what's original and what's not. It's a real shame no records appear to have been kept. :-(
If we can get some sort of table together with likely correct years and months it may help prevent people buying possible lemons.

#21 ·
Some time ago I "analysed"(enlarged the dial picture) a few of the what were considered 100% genuine Scubapro dial texts and I did find minor differences in the placing of the text, perhaps varied very very slightly between batches ?

Did Seiko apply the Scubapro text or was it a third party ?

#22 ·
I did some digging in the old SCWF archives and the best post there is an old mmounce post from 2003 (copied below). From this we can at least assume that Seiko did the production of the watch. With Mike being the expert of the Scubapro, there might not be more info available.

- martin

Seiko 6306 ScubaPro 450 Update.November 22 2003 at 9:34 AM
No score for this post Mike (Login mmounce)
Approved Users
from IP address 65.166.241.50

Trying to find as much information on the Scubapro as I could. I sent out a email to Scubapro USA. It came back "Hi Michael,The watch pictured in the attachment was manufactured by Seiko for Scubapro. That particular version may have been offered by Scubapro Japan. The automatic series of watches were offered in the US from 1978 through 1984."
Best Regards,Jules Ganier
Scubapro/Uwatec

Then another Email to ScubaPro Japan, It came back "Scubapro Japan asked several time to make the watch with Scubapro name on it(OEM).
The 1978 ones are also limited production version - Qty is not sure because the file is not here to check.
But it should be 1000pcs not more.
Hope this will help."

Regards
Scubapro Japan

Then a another email to our resident expert Mr. Tokunaga. It came back "Dear Mike-san,
Well, that watch is the one Scubapro had specially ordered to Seiko. Seiko printed the mark which Scubapro specified on the dial of 6306 150m diver's watch, did assembly and inspection, and supplied them it in the state of finished goods.

Unfortunately, I don't know when or how many pieces they were made, because there is no record...

Sincerely yours,

Ikuo Tokunaga

So there you have it. I'm tapped out on who else to ask.I tried,but like many of the vintage Seikos there's a air of mystery and no real solid answer.

So we still enjoy them without knowing all the details.

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.