The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's something interesting (hopefully)

I have a 6306 7001 with a not great case and chapter ring. I have an AM-filled 6309 7040 with a good case and perfect original chapter ring. I was mucking about today and thought maybe I should swap the 6306 into the 6309 case to see how it looked. The 6306 has a big-spline crow. So I swapped that over too.. No problems.

When it came to reassembling the 6309 into the 6306 case I found that the 6309 crown wouldn't screw down. It was as if the threads didn't match. Weird.

I had a spare 6309 729 crown and a couple of cases so I tried that crown on the 6306 case. That wouldn't screw down either. Of course, I didn't force it for fear of damaging the threads.

6306 big spline crown went onto all three cases, but it was the only one that would fit the 6306 case.

Has anyone else a experienced such a mismatch?

Looks like I'll have to swap it all back now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
That is strange . Maybe the pitch of the threads are different but the 6309 case was worn down a bit more and allowed the 6306 crown to fit ?? I donno....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The threads on the 6306 case are definitely in better condition than on either of the 6309 cases. Different pitched threads is the obvious answer but I have never read that the two crowns (big and small spline) were not interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John, that's what I thought. I don't know what's going on. The thread looks very clean and the 6306 crown and case combo is very smooth to wind down with more turns than the other two more worn 6309 combos. Perhaps the problem is fitting worn crowns to a good thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts