The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Special Member
2,224 Posts
ok, call me blind. where was the $4k price on the website? like the watch, but I can get so many other things at that price point.

I agree with mike that it's a great thing that stupid X is not on the dial

<* shark >>><

·
Administrator
33,740 Posts
I'm just grateful that Seiko have decided to send me a sample to try out and photograph :)

Reactions: kuan77

·
Administrator
33,740 Posts
Got to say it looks good, I just wish they had tapered the lume plots in the hour markers like on the original.

·
Craftsman
7,664 Posts
I guess I really do not get the hype with it. Looking at the dial it looks good, but for the cheap looking lume plots and the printed logo. Then the hands, fine nothing doing there, except the sweep lume box looks disproportionate. The case, square, as per the original so a tick there for the apparent finish. But the bezel and insert, incorrect font, looks rather cheap and it's a shame they restrict such important parts to being able to be used on the originals.
Movement, high end but not on show, so what exactly is worth the money? Because originals aren't easy to find? Because this is worlds apart from the original in terms of quality? Or because it's been hyped up so much?

Looking at the other models, the dial lume plots are the same and the bezel inserts looks the same but for the triangle. So again what is being paid for, the case looks similar but a little long 50mm? The hands are awful but that's already been mentioned, the Seiko logo again is simply printed. Why on earth is this/these getting so much hype?

If it was not labelled as a reissue of the 62MAS, because it isn't, it should have been another classic diver referencing their past and available to the masses.

Sorry for the rant but I really don't get the hype. If it wasn't limited it would follow the same pattern as the srp range, half price second hand market. It looks like a mass produced watch and along with the others they all look like they should be half the price. Is it just price, or something deeper than that for me... I know I'd like to be able to afford one, but really would I get it? I'd have to say I'd think twice and more significantly I'd be buying an original, actual 62MAS than either of these. Hmm I can't work this one out but my heart and mind both feel put off.

·
Special Member
6,819 Posts
Other than the pure hype of the reissue, I just don't get this being a $3100.00 watch. Other than knowing it's the 8L35 movement inside it looks like a sub $1000 watch.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You can't beat the feeling of having a nice original vintage watch on the wrist.
These new reissues do nothing for me. I prefer my 6309-7049 over the srp777 any day and the same goes for the 62mas reissue.
Nice watch, but I will stick to vintage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can't beat the feeling of having a nice original vintage watch on the wrist.
These new reissues do nothing for me. I prefer my 6309-7049 over the srp777 any day and the same goes for the 62mas reissue.
Nice watch, but I will stick to vintage.
I'm with you on this one...

I gaze longingly at the new SRPxx every time I pass a jeweller. Then see them being sold for reasonable prices on the forums/Gumtree etc but then I think...Nup, 6309 all day long.

I do like this re-issue though. I think Seiko have nailed it but I wouldn't be offloading the collection to get one.

·
Craftsman
7,664 Posts
Doesn't look like it will be hard to find or order, or limited to specific quantity compared to the SLA (unsure of this, though). They're on FJ via Amazon.jp for 400 to 600 pounds for the blue and black respectively.

·
Craftsman
7,664 Posts
Excuse my rant above. Just pissed it's too much money. Also I think I'm more annoyed I have had to sell so many recently. Anyway, most of what I said I stand by, however most of all I can't help but think the milking of the ltd. edition cachet is a little annoying to justify the price somewhat.

Anyway I'll look forward to seeing these on other people's wrists... :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts