The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was lucky enough to buy a 62mas the other week but the bezel insert was faded. I'm not into the faded look so I went looking and got one of yobokies aftermarket inserts but the fonts are incorrect. Now don't get me wrong for the price the insert looks great and fits superbly but those incorrect fonts do someone like me with OCD's head in.

What I want to know is how many folk would buy a correct reproduced insert from me if I were to have these made up? I've found someone who is able to make them to exact original specs but they are going to cost approx £50GBP + delivery. That's about $85USD or 64Euro + shipping. They would be exact replica's of the originals down to thickness, lume hole size, lume colour and font.

Now for those prices to work I need to have at least 10 people who without doubt want these inserts and I'd get about 25 to 50 made. If I have 50 produced the cost will come down by about 10 to 20% each. These prices are 'cost to me' and I wouldn't be making any profit for myself.

Here are two images of my watch with it's original insert and the yobokies insert. As you can see the font is thinner, more stylish and the zeros are squared off.

NOTE: Moved due to no response in tinkering section

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only two people who want correct 62mas bezel inserts myself included? I find that hard to believe but unless I get some solid yes I want one's I'll be dropping this quest faster than a tarts knickers at a politicians birthday party!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool talking to two guys about costs at mo. Will let you know the outcome :)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've owned an all original 6217; so, I have some experience w/ the model. that repro bezel insert "looks" fake (no pun intended). I don't know if it's just the way it appears in the photo or what. in fact, I'll go further and say that eccles philipines version looks better. at the very least, I think the 0 (zeroes) need to be squared off.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice project Tony but at fifty notes I would be afraid to press it in the bezel in case I damaged it :(
I was scared s-less when I done my but a doddle! Old one just popped out using a bit of old credit card I stole from my fathers wallet and the new one just clicked in to place no problemo. In fact I don't see how you could do any damage other than wrecking that little bit of wire that holds the bezel in place on the watch. I'm working on 4 people now to see if I can't get those prices down a tad :)

If I get them I will do a YouTube vid of the removal and refit process.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I was scared s-less when I done my but a doddle! Old one just popped out using a bit of old credit card I stole from my fathers wallet and the new one just clicked in to place no problemo. In fact I don't see how you could do any damage other than wrecking that little bit of wire that holds the bezel in place on the watch. I'm working on 4 people now to see if I can't get those prices down a tad :)

If I get them I will do a YouTube vid of the removal and refit process.
I was kidding a little Tony, I have done quite a few over time but..............none cost £50 :)

If it is GOOD i would be more than tempted especially if I got hold of an original bezel :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not much use to you, but if I could afford a 62mas I'd happily pay that price for a bang on replica if I were in your shoes.
It's nice to see more people wanting to provide options for keeping these watches looking and running right.

·
Registered
912 Posts
An interesting project Tone. If I had a 62mas I would probably be interested....but errrr, sold mine!

On other bezels (pogue etc) you have to misshape the insert (make it slightly cone shaped) so that the outer diameter is reduced such that it will pop out....I guess not on the 62mas?!

It is the finish of the insert that I find most notable, the font of course and particularly the height at the OD - normally this just is never right, always too high.

Good luck with the quest. £50 notes from me just to see what you can do :)
T

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know £50 sounds a lot I said the same but.... I showed the guy the replica one I had and he said:

1. Not the best quality materials (thats polite to what he actually said)... The metal will oxidize and fur up.
2. Not the best finish (once again toned down version). The black will fade real quick.
3. Where's the lume? (it had already dropped out)!

Also worth noting when I showed him the original insert he said typical Jap crap quality insert! This guy makes bezels for a top Swiss maker of wrist wear but I can't say (in open forum) who for. It's all a bit greek to me ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Tony,
If the part can be genuinely 1 for 1, with correct fonts then I'd certainly be interested. £50 is certainly a little on the expensive side though and so getting the dimensions right would help avoid problems when it comes to fitting.

With DaveS's inserts I was able to fit one without any trouble at all - clicked in without any hassle - but the second one I tried on a different watch needed some sizing before it could be persuaded to sit right.

All the best
Martin

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys I have enough folk interested now to get on a serious move with this project. I will start hassling the guys I'm trying to get samples from.
Don't supose anyone has a spare knackered bezel I can borrow so I don't have to remove mine yet?

T

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm assuming the watch grew on you then?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep :) Still think there is a lot more out there for the money but the bezel insert done the magic for me! Hence why I am not looking for one that actually looks spot on ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts