The Watch Site banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As most of you vintage lovers know, there are 2 6159-7001's up for sale on our favorite auction site. This is rare in itself but it presents an opportunity for comparison. Search for "seiko 6159". I'm sorta/kinda thinking about duking it out but we'll see...I've misbehaved a lot lately.

In any case, the questions for the experts:

- I see the bezels running in 2 different directions (ie 10 on the left side and 10 on the right side). What gives?

- the casebacks are different. One has an embossed ring and one doesn't.

Btw, I've done a bit of research and have seen pics of both but the one listed as "not working" seems to be far more prevalent in web pics and various forum posts. The other version shows up rarely and has me wondering if it is the same exact piece.

Anyhow, would love to hear feedback about the questions and if anything else looks fishy on these.

Thanks!
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
They both look fine to me, the countdown bezel is correct but seen less often than the count up type. The caseback is also correct, I've seen a couple with no outer ring before and the ones I've seen have both been February examples. I'm of the opinion that it must have been the early 6159-7001's that didn't have the outer ring but that's just conjecture at the moment as I haven't seen enough non ring examples to be sure. The dial and handset on the non runner looks to be in great condition but it's worth remembering that some important movement parts for these are incredibly difficult to find, balance wheels, escape wheels mainspring barrel assemblies that sort of thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts