The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In collaboration with my friend Russell/Seikozen I have been working on this 6159-7001.

On arrival she was running but wearing the wrong dial and hands as advertised, the seller was very good to deal with :).

First step was to hand wind a little just to check she was running, over a few hours she was within one second so looking very promising, but when moved from side to side all dident sound well, so a strip down of the case was in order to see what was inside.

On removing the bezel there was a red substance all round the crystal ? so I gently cleaned off as much as possible before removing the crystal so has not to contaminate the movement (hopefully), no gaskets in evidence ? movement removed with no problems and there was the oscillating weight and screws detached from the movement :(

Good news she is a 6159 :) I was worried that the movement had perhaps been swapped or.......

I refitted the weight, replaced the dial ring as the one fitted was incorrect and also split, swapped the gold hands for a set of SKX hands, assembled it back in the case with new gaskets, wound her up and all seem REALLY good, running superb on the Timegrapher and the high beat movements sounds like a machine gun :)

Ran for a few days in this configuration and all good, the second hand is a joy to watch sweeping round the dial and I do find myself watching it for long periods of time, sad but true :)

Now that all seemed fine we decided to take the next step which was the dial and hands, as the chances of finding a NOS dial and hands was pretty remote the decision was made to fit a MM dial and hands that Russell had spare.

The 6159 chapter ring accepts a 27.5mm dial and the MM dial is 28.5mm so I knocked up a simple jig out of Acetal to enable me to turn the dial down without damaging it and also to make sure it was reduced correctly/concentric, this went well with no problems. Fitted the MM dial/hands and while the case was stripped fitted a NOS OEM crystal supplied by Stefan.

The next step is the bezel, I love a nice bezel and have never bought in to the wabbie thing :) this bezel is pretty poor but for some strange reason it isent bothering me (too much :) ). We have toyed with modding a MM bezel to fit but also there is a chance that a 95%+ original bezel could be available, we are still thinking about the bezel.

Jim/jimmy1963 kindly loaned me his spare bezel so that i could get some sizes etc which was a great help and so we bought a new MM bezel for if we go that route, got to say in the flesh the MM bezel is really beautiful :)

So this is were it's at at the moment, really great to wear and that second hand :) :) :)

Sellers picture

Red stuff.

After first tidy up.

Modify MM dial.

With MM dial/hands.

MM bezel just resting on the case (not fitted).

·
Special Member
4,563 Posts
Great project John. IMHO it looks very good with the mm300 dial and hands and the old bezel works for me as well. I am not sure if the massive mm300 bezel works well with the 6159 case but that's just my 2 ct.... however, what a great watch and good luck with your project :bravo_2:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
She looks really Nice, was worth the Chance. Considering How Strong the Mvt is running
and How Nice the Case is, in her Untouched Cond.
Rob continues to be a Blessing as a Source for OEM, NOS Vintage seiko Parts
She will be special when Finished.

Nice job lining up the MM Dial to show the date window Perfectly

Now a 6159-700X Bezel "Smile"

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Looking promising John but I must agree with Mario about the bezel. BTW: nice to hear you keep in touch with Russell I have not seen him post for yonks and was wondering about him just the other day.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hi Mike
I have been Fighting some health issues, and Work demands. Miss so many of you. I am Feeling much better and look forward to finally being able to Post w/ Pics .

So much to show/Share and Contribute let alone all that I Need to Learn from you all.

All the watches in the World become so much LESS of a Joy without being able to share
with others
Thanks for asking.

Hi Jimmy 1963

·
Craftsman
3,921 Posts
Great project John!

Nice to here from you again Russell. I've missed your posts!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice work John, and great to hear from Russell! I look forward to seeing the nos bezel installed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,395 Posts
Nice work so far! Are you going to service the movement? High beat movements wear quickly without the correct oil, etc. (well that's what I read on the internet :) )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts