The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 6138 Bullhead in with my watch guy for service. First problem when it arrived was that the second hand needed reinstalling. He did a quick reinstall so I could have it for Christmas but it fell off again and has been with him a while because he's taken leave to have a hip replacement.

He mentioned that the second had was resetting rather randomly and he'd look at that when he serviced it. I read a comment the other day that random resents could be a result of a worn chrono clutch.

I have a 6139B in parts and I wondered if the two clutch assemblies are interchangeable? The tech sheets show differing parts numbers for the centre chronograph and clutch wheels.

Does anyone have any experience substituting one for the other? I'm guessing it's not possible, but thought I'd ask.

Is this random resetting something that can be solved by roughing up the clutch plates as I've heard reference to?

Thanks all.

Tristan

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Well Tritto i am sorry you are having problems with it...i wish i had the info you need..i will try and find out...God Bless John

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
They're not interchangeable unfortunately. If the seconds hand has come off a couple of times already I'd be inclined to think the clutch is OK and the pipe on the hand is split. If that's the case a new hand is easier to source than a chronograph centre wheel.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
very good info Cannop...really appreciate it...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're not interchangeable unfortunately. If the seconds hand has come off a couple of times already I'd be inclined to think the clutch is OK and the pipe on the hand is split. If that's the case a new hand is easier to source than a chronograph centre wheel.

Thanks Duncan. Yes, I've been hunting for a new second hand for a while now (inc WTB on several forums). Unfortunately one hasn't come up yet. Seems a NOS 17mm hand for this model is ever rarer than the 15mm hand used in the Pogue etc.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
If a new chronograph seconds hand does not do the trick I would be inclined to service the movement and make sure the pushers are clean/new gaskets before thinking about messing with the chronograph center wheel.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike. The watch is with
My guy for a full service - eventually. I've already replaced the pusher and crown gaskets so they're nice and smooth. I was just wondering if I could offer him anything Fromm parts 6139 to help out. Duncan is probably right - if I can get a good seconds hand that may solve the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Tritto....we will help you find what you need...God Bless John...you have always helped me...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Well theoretically the clutch would fit, but the 6139 axle is too short to fit the seconds hand on the bullhead. (I tried :( )

So you would have to disassemble the 6139 clutch and fit it on a 6138 axle. (is that even possible)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well theoretically the clutch would fit, but the 6139 axle is too short to fit the seconds hand on the bullhead. (I tried :( )

So you would have to disassemble the 6139 clutch and fit it on a 6138 axle. (is that even possible)
As you say, the axle for the 6139 is shorter than the 6138. I have yet to find away to take these apart. I have tried.
I have managed to increase the strength of a clutch spring though so that it has been brought back to a useable chronograph. Fidly work but work it did.

I'm sure Duncan is right; if the hand is falling off then it is most likely a split tube and thus it is your problem.

What colour hand do you need tritto?? edit...You say for a Bullhead so you want a yellow hand :( oh well, I dont think I can help then. sorry. Red hands I can spare you one, original full length.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As you say, the axle for the 6139 is shorter than the 6138. I have yet to find away to take these apart. I have tried.
I have managed to increase the strength of a clutch spring though so that it has been brought back to a useable chronograph. Fidly work but work it did.

I'm sure Duncan is right; if the hand is falling off then it is most likely a split tube and thus it is your problem.

What colour hand do you need tritto?? edit...You say for a Bullhead so you want a yellow hand :( oh well, I dont think I can help then. sorry. Red hands I can spare you one, original full length.

Hi Tom. It's the red hand I need - it's the JDM Speedtimer variant with the red hand.

For example (not mine):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425304066.792130.jpg

Mine (seller pics - I didn't think to take a better shot before taking it to my guy):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425304184.548631.jpg

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hi Tom. It's the red hand I need - it's the JDM Speedtimer variant with the red hand.

For example (not mine):

View attachment 155313

Mine (seller pics - I didn't think to take a better shot before taking it to my guy):
View attachment 155321

I just spotted your WTB too - sorry I had not seen that before. I only check the active topics every few days or so.....
Ok give me some time but I am sure I brought a few red ones off Stefan a year or so ago and have surprisingly not used them!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just spotted your WTB too - sorry I had noot seen that before. I only check the active topics every few days or so.....
Ok give me some time but I am sure I brought a few red ones off Stefan a year or so ago and have surprisingly not used them!

Thank you, that's great news. Perhaps I should have been bumping that WTB more often but I didn't want to clutter the forum.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well awesome...thank you Tom...you are a great man and such a help...see Tritto this great forum got it sorted for you....God Bless John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts