The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Spencer Klein talking about the rare 6139-6007 and he mentions that 6139A have the thinner 4mm caseback vs 4.3mm on the 6139B. I think the reason is obvious that the 6139A is slightly thinner movement than 6139B.

I checked a couple of my 6139A that’s early model such as the 6000 and 6030 and sure enough they have the thinner caseback. However I noticed that some resist model like the 6005, 6007 etc can come with both 6139A and 6139B. Does it mean that these “transitional“ model have both thinner and thicker caseback or they just use the later thicker one?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

That is from 6005 with 6139A movement and it has thicker case back.

Seems like I have answered my own question, here is my hypothesis
1. 6139A only model such as 6000, 6030 or 6010 will have thinner 4mm caseback.
2. 6139A/B model will have thicker 4.3mm caseback.

·
Special Member
7,861 Posts
We learn something every day in this hobby, I did not realize the case backs had different depths to them.

Thanks for educating !

·
Craftsman
4,009 Posts
I haven't had time to look into this yet but I'm under the impression that the thinner case backs may also correspond with the early cases that also use the thinner crystal gasket retaining ring.
Thinner crystal gasket retaining ring + thinner case back = more room in the case for a thicker 6139A movement.

·
Craftsman
4,009 Posts
Wouldn't be the first time I made a mistake without checkin...........:)

·
Craftsman
1,970 Posts
I saw Spencer's vid and was surprised to learn something I did not know before about early 6139 Pogues. Makes sense though. I think we all know the 6139B movement will not fit into an early notch case that had an early 6139A moment but an A movement will work in a later case. Just so many variations on these watches: movement thickness, case back thickness, crystal gasket retaining ring thickness, inner rotating ring configurations, at least 3 different dial spacer ring configurations, at least 3 different hammer return spring configurations. dial variations (too many to count). Thank goodness we have experts here to keep us all straight. :D

·
Special Member
794 Posts
John, I will contribute to your education by continuing to send you scruffy Pogues requiring complete disassembly and significant repair ;-)

As for Spencer’s video, it confirmed my belief that the second half of 1970 was pretty much “use whatever comes to hand” at the Pogue Factory, at least as far as the 6139-6001 and 6139-6007 were concerned. He also made a good point about the distinction between “rare” and “valuable.” Only a dyed-in-the-wool WIS would care that it’s a 6139-6007; to anyone else, it’s just another Pogue with a blue dial.

A Grosjean. No, that’s not it. A Gasly. An Ocon. I know it was some French Formula 1 guy not named Alain Prost. Don’t tell me, I’ll think of it in a minute.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't had time to look into this yet but I'm under the impression that the thinner case backs may also correspond with the early cases that also use the thinner crystal gasket retaining ring.
Thinner crystal gasket retaining ring + thinner case back = more room in the case for a thicker 6139A movement.
I think you are right as well. In case if 6009 for example it can come with notched or non notched case. However 6139B wouldn’t have fit with thinner caseback even with non-notch case. I think later 6005 that comes with both 6139A and B have the thicker caseback to accommodate both.

Here is side profile comparison between 6005 4.3mm, 6009 4mm, and later model 6119 3.85mm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts