The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, took a punt on a non worker fixer. Not working missing pusher etc in the description. Well that was correct, the movement looked clean however nothing would move. So stripped it down and found the problem. The bottom arbor port had at one time being repaired with a jewel. This has now failed and completely disintegrated. So I'm up for fix on that for sure. Other wise all parts look OK so far.
On the plus side the dial is stunning and to me unmarked, hands need work. The calendar side works so smooth with minimal effort to change day/date.
I have a few 6139s apart at the moment ,one being another 6010. Also a new set of hands in the mail. I might put one together with this dial and see how I go.
Question ,is the main plate the same for A&B movement?
Thanks forlooking ,any advice most welcome. Quite new at the repair/restore side of things . Cheers Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pickup. Hopefully you can obtain a lower arbor jewel and just press it in without much effort. Good luck on the overhaul and keep us posted.
Thanks, are the jewels a standard size and how easy would it be to press them in with out the correct gear. Also is the main plate the same for both the A&B versions. I have spare B plate. thanks Tony

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Nice pickup. Hopefully you can obtain a lower arbor jewel and just press it in without much effort. Good luck on the overhaul and keep us posted.
Take some digital calipers and see if you can get a reading on the hole. If the hole is 1.58 - 1.60 mm then you can get a lower jewel from Adrian at VTA and press it in. You are more than likely going to need a jewel press or a staking set in order to press the new jewel into place.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take some digital calipers and see if you can get a reading on the hole. If the hole is 1.58 - 1.60 mm then you can get a lower jewel from Adrian at VTA and press it in. You are more than likely going to need a jewel press or a staking set in order to press the new jewel into place.
Will do thanks, actually in touch with Adrian right now over a few items so will ask him about the jewels too. I need to send him another plate to do a fix on anyway . What do reckon about any difference between the A&b plates if any . Thanks again Tony.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Wow you and I just got the same watch off the same assembly line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Will do thanks, actually in touch with Adrian right now over a few items so will ask him about the jewels too. I need to send him another plate to do a fix on anyway . What do reckon about any difference between the A&b plates if any . Thanks again Tony.
I'm pretty sure there are no differences in the bottom plates. It's the top plates that are different.

It's possible to replace the jewel without a staking set. You can use a reamer if there is a bur on the hole and just be creative about how you press the jewel in ;-)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow you and I just got the same watch off the same assembly line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very close, I will have to see what bracelets I have to suit though. I have 2 later issues 6010Bs I'm trying to work on but they have issues too.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure there are no differences in the bottom plates. It's the top plates that are different.

It's possible to replace the jewel without a staking set. You can use a reamer if there is a bur on the hole and just be creative about how you press the jewel in ;-)
Thanks for the reply. The top jewel is fine so I might try a B plate and put it back together and see how I go. Does'nt seem to be a burr but will have a closer look.Having trouble measuring the dia of the port. Adrian's jewels say 1.6mm so I assuming that's the standard.(maybe) Cheers Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts