The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just received a 6139-7080 , seller said not working . Didn't pay that much for it and was hoping just get it running half decent. However its running fine after with winding the mainspring. Have it on the TG and it has some great numbers showing However the second hand is is not rotating . Do you think symptom its a of a weak clutch on the chrono wheel. If so is there a simple newbie way of checking it out. The hammer works seem to working OK but no knowledge if the inter action with the chrono wheel is as it should be Or could it be something more simplier or not as costly problem. I'm not going to throw big coin at a remedy on this watch and might ended up a parts watch.
As always thanks for viewing.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Does the watch run with the chronograph engaged and disengaged? If everything runs in both modes and the only issue is the sweep hand does not move I would bet one of two things is going on here:
1. Tube on the sweep hand is cracked or has become unstaked from the hand itself which will not allow it to move.
2. Bad chronograph wheel clutch.

I would start by pulling the sweep hand and examining the mounting tube. With the chrono running you might try touching the sweep hand near the center mounting pinion with your tweezers to see if a bit of downward pressure allows it to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks , onto it. Getting late here so might have to report back tomorrow. Cheers T

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Few further developments today. I took the top bridge/chrono bridge off to check out the hammer works. Looked OK so put the bridge back on . Low and behold the second started to work . I did nothing , but take off and put back the bridge. Must have loosen something somewhere ,no skill involved.
However the minute recording wheel wasn't revolving. Did a search in the forum ,several possible causes. One was maybe the dial wasn't sitting right and fouling the the sub dial hand . So I took the hand off and that seemed to be the probably cause,. So dial off I put the hand off and still no go.
Right full stripped down was called for ,resulting in some interesting finds.
Minute recording was difficult to remove , think it was stuck fast around the jewel. came away with a bit of effort ,no damage evident.
Worse to follow calendar side., plenty of rust found in the canon pinon area. No where else just there. So when I extracted the chrono wheel there was plenty of rust on the stem. Strange no other rust any where else on that side . Maybe the moisture came from the motion side.
Can see now why the 2nd hand was prone to sticking ,jamming.
Now in the process of cleaning all parts , reassembly tomorrow fingers crossed.
One good win today is the the lower arbor pivot opening looks really good,which makes a change.
Thanks for viewing, comments most welcome. Tony.

20200707_171406.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
If a little moisture gets inside a watch it often condenses under the glass and makes it's way down the seconds pinion to the canon pinion as it's done with yours. At least if you need a CP or minute wheel they're easy to come by.
All the best with it ;-)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, Cleaned and put the motion side back together. 2nd hand now seems to be working fine . However the minute recording wheel isn't. On close inspection the minute counter ( I think that's what its called) isn't contacting the intermediate minute recording wheel as the chrono wheel turns. Can the counter finger be manipulated to make it hit the intermediate wheel thus activate the minute wheel. Or do I have a bigger issue with the chorno wheel ? all part of the learning curve with these watches I guess.One problem sorted and another pops its head up. Cant give in can you.

Thanks Tony

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Tony
The chronograph finger can be manipulate. In the 6139 technical guide it shows the position it needs to be in to contact the intermediate wheel. It's quite precise but first up the intermediate wheel and minute record wheel must be aligned correctly by the spring jumper on the chronograph bridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot Merritt. Bottom of 2nd page is the money shot. Will give it a go tomorrow and report back. Steady steady as she goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts