The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this Pulsations is one of the 6139's I bought this year. Currently Tom Hickman is putting a new crystal, gaskets, service etc into it, but the mystery is the black Chrono clutch ( sorry Pillar Wheel ( thanks ). Never seen one before, anyone any idea why it's black and not the usual S/S jobbie? It's a 17 Jewel 6139A thanks Andrew :confused:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
That's not the chrono clutch but rather the pillar wheel.

I'm not sure why it's black. That's the first one I've seen.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for the correction of the part description. Any suggestions anyone, seen one before? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Never saw a black pillar wheel like that on 6139/8.
Do the chrono functions work OK?
I guess it was swapped or refinished by a watchmaker who serviced the watch.

Also I thought the 2 pieces-sweep hand and 6139A movement were only fitted in resist and proof variants. :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never saw a black pillar wheel like that on 6139/8.
Do the chrono functions work OK?
I guess it was swapped or refinished by a watchmaker who serviced the watch.

Also I thought the 2 pieces-sweep hand and 6139A movement were only fitted in resist and proof variants. :confused::confused::confused:
Yes this is running perfectly, the timekeeping is good as is the power reserve. The restoration work is restricted to only needing cosmetics and gaskets really ( and a bracelet at some point if I can find one ). No idea of its previous service history so the colour of the pillar wheel is of real interest.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black pillar wheel

Mine, have the "normal" metal part.
And, never seen before in any of my vintages SEIKO .

Good question!!!
All my other 6139's and 6138's have the S/S version. I'm assuming this is a metal one as well ( don't feel inclined to mess about with it though ) but for some reason, maybe some form of surface treatment it's now black. It can't be a unique item. Someone must have seen one before I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I have had one movement with that part in it a dark color like that. I think it is one of my parts movements, once I get unpacked after moving I will see if I still have it.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I suppose aftermarket parts can be different like that.

Rolex actually teflon coats their reversing wheels to reduce friction - any chance these are coated?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had one movement with that part in it a dark color like that. I think it is one of my parts movements, once I get unpacked after moving I will see if I still have it.
Hello, thanks for the reply. I'd be very interested to know what you think if you still have it, especially if you have any idea how old it might be. Also the comment above about the Rolex coating is interesting. Thanks

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Would any other watch of higher grade and size have that part ?
What I mean is, would another type of watch have the same size and likeness of that part and was used maybe for durability or dependability ?
( Just a thought , but dont know anything about it. (The Gear Wheel)
Just interested in it.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Would any other watch of higher grade and size have that part ?
What I mean is, would another type of watch have the same size and likeness of that part and was used maybe for durability or dependability ?
( Just a thought , but dont know anything about it. (The Gear Wheel)
Just interested in it.
I checked the part number for interchange on Borel's site , but it only shows commonality to Seiko 6138/6139.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I wonder if the blued pillar wheels were parts that had missed the pickling/cleaning cycle after the tempering process?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blued column wheels have been seen in 6139"A" movements before so I don't think that they are an aftermarket part. Could be wrong. :)

Thanks for this reply. I'm pleased they have been seen elsewhere. Any more info anyone has would be really interesting to share in the forum. Thanks

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I don't have access to it, but I know that the movement in question was out of an early proof dial 6002, so it would have been a 6139a.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have access to it, but I know that the movement in question was out of an early proof dial 6002, so it would have been a 6139a.
This watch is early 1970 and an "A" movement as mentioned above. Like many others here on the forum, I also have other 1969-1970 early "A" movements that are the usual S/S ones. It would seem therefore from your comment to be restricted to a few early "A" movements. I wonder why the disparity though, different factories ete etc ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts