The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6139 in pretty good shape, putting a new crystal on, putting on a metal bracelet and trying to make the watch look new-ish.

I see the dials for sale on ebay and wonder if these are as indicated or look sort of goofy and cheap from the get-go.

I don't ever intend to sell the watch but will give it to one of my sons. So the idea of a "franken" watch doesn't kill the restoration for me.

My debate is are the aftermarket dials good vs the "leave it alone and call it patina" dial I have now.

I've attached a screen capture of one of the vendors on ebay, a replacement like this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
your dial is very tolerable. I'd leave it as is. It has history ....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is that a scratch around the perimeter of the sub dial on your original dial? If that's a black line splitting the minute markers, I would question its authenticity. I'm not an authority on these dials. Hopefully more experienced members will weigh in.

Kirk Dial wants $133 to refinish the one below. It's just too beat up for me so I'll probably send it as a test for future projects.
ddd].jpg

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I'd also say your dial looks questionable regarding the ring around the sub dial and also it looks like it may have been re-lumed at some point.

We may be able to tell more from a close up photo with the dial out of the case. If you remove the dial, and it's original, it will have a date stamp on the back side indicating the year + month it was made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about face?

I'd also say your dial looks questionable regarding the ring around the sub dial and also it looks like it may have been re-lumed at some point.

We may be able to tell more from a close up photo with the dial out of the case. If you remove the dial, and it's original, it will have a date stamp on the back side indicating the year + month it was made.
All,
thanks for the feedback, I'm not shocked by potential of it not being original. In fact if it is not original it may make my decision easier. I can remove it from the case and take some better Macro photos of the dial/face. I'm awaiting a stem/gear from the UK before I send it in for work.

I'm still awaiting a response if the dials on eBay are respectable or odd orange/yellow junk. Has anyone had expereince with the faces for sale on ebay.

SeikoPsycho are you working on 6139s now? Or leave of absence? :grin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that a scratch around the perimeter of the sub dial on your original dial? If that's a black line splitting the minute markers, I would question its authenticity. I'm not an authority on these dials. Hopefully more experienced members will weigh in.

Willdy, it is a scratch, I believe the chrono minute hand did that. The watch was gift from my sons. Get watch, happy! It is running from the tossing and movement in the postal system. I run chrono, yay!!! :grin:Stop chrono, hit bottom pusher to reset hands and minute hand JUMPS out of mech and parks itself around the 9 O'clock indice!! DAMN! :mad: Evidently had the watch about 45 seconds when it **** the bed! So now in refurb mode. Trying to make right some of the things wrong with it.

Kirk Dial wants $133 to refinish the one below. It's just too beat up for me so I'll probably send it as a test for future projects.
View attachment 384335
Thanks for the ref to Kirk Dial but the one in your photo is worse.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Willdy, it is a scratch, I believe the chrono minute hand did that.

That was the only reason I questioned it's authenticity. SeikoPsycho2 will know in a glance if you post some better pics. If original, I agree with the consensus. Your imperfect original dial is superior to a fake dial.

To answer your original question - The pirated fraudulent (AKA aftermarket) dials can be difficult to discern from the real deal. I mentioned the price of a redial to point out my preference to pay 4x more rather than support the pirate market. Not that I'm claiming any high status with that preference. A re-dial is unacceptable to many collectors too but I don't feel I'm stealing from Seiko's brand when their emblem is re-installed on their repainted dial.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That was the only reason I questioned it's authenticity. SeikoPsycho2 will know in a glance if you post some better pics. If original, I agree with the consensus. Your imperfect original dial is superior to a fake dial.

To answer your original question - The pirated fraudulent (AKA aftermarket) dials can be difficult to discern from the real deal. I mentioned the price of a redial to point out my preference to pay 4x more rather than support the pirate market. Not that I'm claiming any high status with that preference. A re-dial is unacceptable to many collectors too but I don't feel I'm stealing from Seiko's brand when their emblem is re-installed on their repainted dial.
I don't feel it is pirating when Seiko won't get behind the fans to produce genuine parts that are in demand. Honestly, they don't give a $h1t about old watches. Now I wouldn't care for anything new touted as genuine Seiko, but AM parts available to replace long discontinued parts is what is keeping a lot of these watches from being scrap. You just need to know the difference and buy accordingly. Thankfully we have some good eyes on this forum that are willing to help.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
It appears to be an original dial. I'm not sure what caused the circle in the sub dial. To be sure, I'd remove the hands + dial and check for the date stamping on the back side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It appears to be an original dial. I'm not sure what caused the circle in the sub dial. To be sure, I'd remove the hands + dial and check for the date stamping on the back side.
SeikoPsycho2, thanks for the feedback. At first I thought the circle was from the minute hand on the subdial rubbing, but it is too short. Unless the current one replaced a longer original? Or previous hand was an AM and caused the issue?

I'm hesitant to remove the hands and cause damage to the dial. It is going in for some TLC as when I removed it from the case to put the Chrono minute hand back on (it jumped from the dial first time I used the reset pusher on the Chrono!?) I removed the stem (pressed release) while in the "time setting" position and disengaged a "clutch" maybe so I'll have that corrected by someone with actual skills. The 6139 was running on delivery but the travelling Chrono minute hand started a cavalcade of change. I've ordered a new crystal and stem with proper gear to turn the chapter ring/interior bezel. Since it needed work sorting out the Chrono minute hand (and now stem) trying to fix a couple of things while it is open.

I'll get to the bottom of the type of dial as well, ask the tech to look at it.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'll let you know how the AM looks in a couple weeks. Just ordered one. The 2 OEM dials I have are just too beat to live with. The spots are rust under the paint and it's lifting off the dial. I'll have to do with the AM until (if) I can find an affordable OEM to replace it. The pic looks good, I figure it's worth the gamble for $15 shipped.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts