The Watch Site banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
SeikoPsycho2 said:
If my watch budget wasn't in the red I would have snagged that one!

I got extraordinarily lucky in that two days before the ad was posted I found out that we had the funds. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I thought the blue one originaly came with a white indicator ring, hence the `Pepsi` nickname, red, blue and white like their cola cans were. I'm sure I read words to that effect on here somewhere

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I have no doubt given the dial numbers that Silver 600X's are legitimate, Seiko factory produced model variants. Could they have been specific to certain regions only, possibly, and this might speak to as to why they aren't in any catalogs so far, but given the volume of them that are around, and the fact that I have yet to see an aftermarket silver dial created, I just can't for the life of me believe that they aren't genuine. Where else did those dials come from given the code on them is not, as far as I am aware, used on any other silver dialed 6139 variants?

The early 6139-6000 5Sports Speedtimer dialed variations are definitely a very very dark blue, I have had several over the past few years and it is hard to distinguish from black but in the right light, there is always a hint of blue in there.

The 6139 buyers guide that is easy to find (google "6139 Buyers Guide") contains a wealth of useful information covering combinations of dial and insert combinations etc..

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
So I dont know why I am spending so much time googling all the different variants I can find but I actually just found something that makes me need to retract a previous statement I just made. Here is an original, all black dial Speedtimer and its gorgeous blue cousin.

(Again, picture borrowed from the innerweb...)

One thing I am in discussion with another collector with at the moment is what the model number is on that blue one, according to a catalog scan it is a 6139-600X? Can anyone confirm?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've NEVER seen that bracelet before :eek:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
The one in the catalog scan?

If so, I have that on my blue dial 6139-6000 speedtimer. I have also seen them on 6139-6032 models as well. In fact, here is the catalog scan showing it on a 6032, its a sharp looking bracelet....

[quote=Spencer]
I've NEVER seen that bracelet before :o
[/quote]

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
it's cool! I like it.

I'm starting to get the sinking feeling that I'm going to have to start looking for Speed Timer models now. :'(

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Here it is in real life. Miraculously, I got this watch for about $52 on Ebay last year. I threw a bid in on it when it was listed, forgot to put it on my watch list, and didn't even know the auction had ended until Ebay told me I won it! ---A

Spencer said:
I've NEVER seen that bracelet before :eek:

Attachments

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
OH MY GOD

You got that for FIFTY TWO DOLLARS???

How? Why? Was it poorly listed?

I'll give you $55, right now.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Spencer said:
OH MY GOD

You got that for FIFTY TWO DOLLARS???

How? Why? Was it poorly listed?

I'll give you $55, right now.
I wish I could tell you how. Or why. I honestly do not know. It wasn't particularly poorly listed, though not listed well. IIRC, it was listed simply as "Seiko Speed Timer". No blurry pics...they were average. They didn't even mention the original box and papers in the auction...that was a surprise when it arrived.

I think it is one of those listings that just slipped through the cracks. Nobody was more surprised than I was. I usually put in a bid on rare or unusual Seikos as soon as I see them. I figure if there is a bid on the watch (or two) and somebody tries to back-door the watch with a private BIN offer, the seller is less likely to take the bait. Chances are improved that they will let the auction run. Normally once I do this, I also put the watch on my Items Watching list. It is this list that I use to make all my final bids in the last hours or minutes of the auction. But I forgot to put this one on my watch list after I put in an opening bid on it. I think my opener was something like $100...far less than I expected the watch to sell for. And far under what I had planned to bid on it in the closing hours of the auction.

About a week later, I received an email from Ebay saying that I had won some vintage Seiko. I had no idea which one they were talking about, as I had not bid on any in the last 24 hours. I was shocked to see it was this watch I had won, and I had managed to get it for $52. I had completely forgotten about it.

Turns out it was almost exactly a year ago. Here are some posts from the old SCF detailing what happened. ---A

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1246406077/Wow!++Been+awhile+since+I+have+seen+a+deal+like+this+on+Ebay!%26gt%3B%26gt%3B

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1246704263

21 - 30 of 30 Posts