The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that there's a lot of discussion about and demand for the "Pogue" 6139s. There are a fair amount of them available any given day on El Bayo and other sites; they don't seem to be rare, but do seem to be quite collectible and becoming more so.

What I don't see are silver-faced 6139-60xx watches. I don't think I've seen one for months for sale (aside from the one I bought yesterday on Watchnet). Are they rare? Or just not sought after and thus not put up for sale? Rarity for -60xx dials seems to go

• Silver
    Blue
    Yellow
Also, I very rarely see "Resist"-dialed models, and the only "Proof" model I've seen anytime recently is the -6010 I bought recently and talked about here.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Re: 6139 models - relative rarities?

There have been a decent number of silver dialled models on eBay over the past few months and one on this sales forum just some days ago. I agree that they dont appear as often as blue or yellow but not sure, and never will be as Seiko dont release this info, what the actual disparity in numbers is. Dont forget there is also a blue dial 6139-600X hidden in this photo (not mine... I wish..)...

I think just by virtue of the number of years each type were made there would be more non 70m marked dials out there (no resist or proof on them) and fewest of the proof marked dials for the generic 600X models.

To your point, I think the generally most sought after model is the gold, so you see more of them perhaps but not really sure how much this plays into it.

[quote=Spencer]
I've noticed that there's a lot of discussion about and demand for the "Pogue" 6139s. There are a fair amount of them available any given day on El Bayo and other sites; they don't seem to be rare, but do seem to be quite collectible and becoming more so.

What I don't see are silver-faced 6139-60xx watches. I don't think I've seen one for months for sale (aside from the one I bought yesterday on Watchnet). Are they rare? Or just not sought after and thus not put up for sale? Rarity for -60xx dials seems to go

[list]
Silver
Blue
Yellow
[/list]
Also, I very rarely see "Resist"-dialed models, and the only "Proof" model I've seen anytime recently is the -6010 I bought recently and talked about here.
[/quote]

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Sorry, one other point to make is that while you seem more and more of the gold ones, less and less of them are original genuine ones, particularly on eBay.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I did a write up on the different variations a while back in the link below.......

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,76.0.html

I'm still not convinced that a silver dial 6139-600X was ever factory original due to no catalog photo's or advertisements that I'm aware of. If anybody has a catalog showing a silver dial 6139-600X I'd love to see it.

Tom

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, for the -60xx line, (and I apologize to the entire forum for making a thread on something that's probably been done to death) the dial variations that are known to be stock from catalog and advertising photos are as follows

• Gold dial, yellow bezel ring
    Blue dial, black bezel ring
And that's it, right? You accept silver, but without any further proof it's possible it's a non-Seiko modification produced by mixing / matching of stock parts?

I've seen other variations - the gold dial/white ring, gold dial/black ring, silver dial/black ring. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
If you're talking about 6139-60XX watches there are many different dial colors and dials. If you're talking about 6139-600X there are at least four dial colors I've seen in Catalogs. Blue, light blue (Technoman's photo above), yellow, and an early Seiko 5 70m black dial from 69'. Silver is still up in the air although I have two of them I'm still waiting to see them in a catalog.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't forget the 6139-6032 Seiko 5 Sports Speedtimer- black dial, black and red bezel (top middle and bottom right in the picture). I believe there are catalog pics of this model. Or were you just talking about the -600x models?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SeikoPsycho2 said:
If you're talking about 6139-60XX watches there are many different dial colors and dials. If you're talking about 6139-600X there are at least four dial colors I've seen in Catalogs. Blue, light blue (Technoman's photo above), yellow, and an early Seiko 5 70m black dial from 69'. Silver is still up in the air although I have two of them I'm still waiting to see them in a catalog.

Hmm. We did have that new poster here a few weeks ago, asking about taking his Dad's 6139-600x apart and putting the movement into another "more modern" case. Everyone said NO NO NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO. It was, you may remember, silver with black ring.

So, in your experience, for every X number of 6139-600x's how many were gold-dialed, how many were silver? 1 in 10? 1 in 20?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I wasn't including them in the list of 6139-600X models because they fall into the 6139-60XX models. 6132-6030 + 6139-6032 are both black dial speedtimer versions.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Spencer said:
so, for the -60xx line, (and I apologize to the entire forum for making a thread on something that's probably been done to death) the dial variations that are known to be stock from catalog and advertising photos are as follows

• Gold dial, yellow bezel ring
    Blue dial, black bezel ring
And that's it, right? You accept silver, but without any further proof it's possible it's a non-Seiko modification produced by mixing / matching of stock parts?

I've seen other variations - the gold dial/white ring, gold dial/black ring, silver dial/black ring. Did I miss anything?
The "proof" I see that confirms the silver dial as a legit variation is the fact that the dial numbers are the same on silver dials as they are on blue or yellow dials. The standard versions of these watches only have two main dial types.

There is the 6139-6030T dial (Chronograph Automatic) and the 6139-6009T dial (Automatic 17J). The silver dials use these same numbers, and same dial variations. So it's not my opinion that these dials were from a different model. Most of the silver dialed watches I see, if not all of them, are 6139-6002s, and seem to come from Australia.

I firmly believe that the "white ring" is simply a yellow ring that has faded with age and exposure to sunlight. ---A

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Spencer said:
Hmm. We did have that new poster here a few weeks ago, asking about taking his Dad's 6139-600x apart and putting the movement into another "more modern" case. Everyone said NO NO NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO. It was, you may remember, silver with black ring.

So, in your experience, for every X number of 6139-600x's how many were gold-dialed, how many were silver? 1 in 10? 1 in 20?
I'm clueless as to the numbers. My first new watch purchase as an 18 year old kid back in the 70's was a 6139-6005 yellow dial. 30+ years later this has fueled my interest and collection of 6139-600X + 60XX Seikos

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
SeikoPsycho2 said:
I wasn't including them in the list of 6139-600X models because they fall into the 6139-60XX models. 6132-6030 + 6139-6032 are both black dial speedtimer versions.
I agree. I don't see the -603x models as being in the same line as the -600x models. While they look similar, they are in a different model line altogether. ---A

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Spencer said:

In my experience, production breaks down something like this :

52% dark blue

46% yellow

.5% light blue

1.5% silver

This is just what I have seen. Actual numbers are an absolute mystery. ---A

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm a bit lost, where are the black dialed 600x? Btw. if we're talking about 60xx we'd have to consider 602x and 601x versions as well, which have totally different cases and a lot of variations! Another "btw": we should once all clean up the photo data base as there are a lot watches with wrong case backs that are therefore listed in the wrong subfolder. ;)

Cheers,

Axel

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Axel66 said:
I'm a bit lost, where are the black dialed 600x? Btw. if we're talking about 60xx we'd have to consider 602x and 601x versions as well, which have totally different cases and a lot of variations! Another "btw": we should once all clean up the photo data base as there are a lot watches with wrong case backs that are therefore listed in the wrong subfolder. ;)

Cheers,

Axel

According to Jonathan / Swedefreak, there were no black-dialed -600x watches. *shrugs* He knows more than I do.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Spencer said:
According to Jonathan / Swedefreak, there were no black-dialed -600x watches. *shrugs* He knows more than I do.
I believe he is right. The very early blue dial watches look black sometimes because they have a VERY dark blue dial. This didn't last long, and the dial soon became a much lighter blue. I think the same is true of the rotating bezels...the "black" ones are just really dark, unfaded blue. ---A

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Cobrajet25 said:
The "proof" I see that confirms the silver dial as a legit variation is the fact that the dial numbers are the same on silver dials as they are on blue or yellow dials. The standard versions of these watches only have two main dial types.

There is the 6139-6030T dial (Chronograph Automatic) and the 6139-6009T dial (Automatic 17J). The silver dials use these same numbers, and same dial variations. So it's not my opinion that these dials were from a different model. Most of the silver dialed watches I see, if not all of them, are 6139-6002s, and seem to come from Australia.

I firmly believe that the "white ring" is simply a yellow ring that has faded with age and exposure to sunlight. ---A
You may have something there concerning the dial numbers but I'd still like to see a photo in a catalog.

+1 on the white inner bezels. I think they are faded yellow also and I forwarded that question to Colonel Pogue after you mentioned it the other day. Once I hear back I'll let you know.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just for the records: you tell me those ones are a Feikos:

Well, I guess I can live with that (just blowing up a total of $200). ;)

But you all think, the golden dial came with the black ring and no silver dial existed?

I'm a bit confused...

Cheers,

Axel

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SeikoPsycho2 said:
You may have something there concerning the dial numbers but I'd still like to see a photo in a catalog.

+1 on the white inner bezels. I think they are faded yellow also and I forwarded that question to Colonel Pogue after you mentioned it the other day. Once I hear back I'll let you know.

+2. Yellow faded to white. Black/dark blue fades to that chalky grey. At least, so it seems from my short time focusing on these models. ???

By the way, I just bought a silver-dialed 6139, and it's a -6002. It's coming out of Australia.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Spencer said:
+2. Yellow faded to white. Black/dark blue fades to that chalky grey. At least, so it seems from my short time focusing on these models. ???

By the way, I just bought a silver-dialed 6139, and it's a -6002. It's coming out of Australia.

If my watch budget wasn't in the red I would have snagged that one!

Here's one of mine.......

And my other one........
[IMG]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts