The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and the only case buildup (crystal, rotating bezel assembly, gasket) that turns up no longer has the linked video.

I'm asking because I am vexed by the crystal install. I broke the case down fine, cleaned the main components, but I cannot for the life of me get the crystal back in. I have a crystal press with the right nylon cups and all. My issue is that when I go to install the crystal I don't know if I should set the crystal gasket, then place the crystal before pressing, or should I set the gasket on the crystal and then place on the case and press? Do I use any lube, don't use?

I'm trying to learn by removing and reinstalling the same crystal, and I just can't get it to stay in and seal.

If anybody could take/post a video to youtube or someplace of that process I (and others in the future I assume) would greatly appreciate it. Advice on things to look for as you go through the process, tricks/tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Which 6139 are you working on? If it has a glass crystal in a rubber gasket fit the gasket first and then push the crystal into the gasket with your fingers.

You may have to push one side into the gasket first then push the crystal in the same direction to distort the gasket enough to fit the opposite side. Er, if that makes any sense:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-600x

No, the last part doesn't make sense. Do you mean to not use a crystal press?

Should I lube the gasket to allow the crystal to worm it's way into the gasket and the assembly into the channel for it within the case? I' ask because I'm convinced a little bit of slippery might allow everything to cosy in nicely together.

Also - given the rotating bezel, how do I gauge how far to seat the crystal to seat the crystal, but not so much that I crush the rotating insert?

·
Craftsman
3,713 Posts
Like Mike said, all that is needed is finger pressure. A crystal press is not needed until it's time to seat the bezel. Normally, you never lube a crystal gasket on a 6139-600X. Once you start seating the crystal with finger pressure you have to push it slightly towards the opposite side while maintaining downward pressure to get it to seat all the way around. If you look at it from the side you'll be able to see when it's seated. Once seated check your gasket to make sure it isn't pinched.

You don't have to worry about depth. You'll need the crystal press to snap the bezel back on which secures the crystal.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
There's a metal ring under the gasket that supports it and stops any pressure being exerted downward onto the rotating plastic ring. There should be a spring ring between the metal gasket support ring and the rotating plastic ring that gently holds the plastic ring down so it engages with the teeth on the crown and turns with a smooth rotating action.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
So the order for re-assembly (from memory) is: rotating plastic ring, spring ring, metal gasket support ring, gasket, crystal, metal bezel.

·
Craftsman
448 Posts
here are some pics from when I cleaned my first (and best) 6139-6002, firstly the rotating dial ring:

then with the spring fitted:

then with the gasket retaining ring:

then with the gasket:

then with the crystal:

and a side shot:

and the underside of the bezel, showing the cutout for easy removal (this should be fitted to align at approx. 11pm)

and finally with the bezel fitted:

the only tricky (and nerve wracking) bit is pushing the bezel on. I use a crystal press.

The first time I did it I was worried about alignment and possibly chipping or cracking the crystal, or deforming the bezel insert or even bending the bezel.

Luckily the bezel self centers and so long as you push it on square you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all. I will give it another try tonight. I've been assuming the crystal press was necessary to get the crystal on, knowing now the crystal is a manual install, and it is the bezel that is the mechanical securing part of the operation helps a lot. Also nice to know I can stop wasting my time trying to preset the crystal gasket on the crystal and just place it in order of the stack and then wiggle the crystal in there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
708 Posts
As a sidenote, before I ever put it on the crystal press, I line up everything, place the outer bezel in place, then align it carefully. Then I tape the bezel in place (I use Kapton Polyamide tape, but I'm sure even electrical tape would work) before finally pressing it together with the crystal press. It's infuriating to have it all put together, only to realize that the outer bezel has moved just enough to not be perfectly aligned!:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts