The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from my post last week of my latest 6139 addition I have had the opportunity to give it some attention. It started off like this;-

I already have a blue/gray dialed 8002 but liked the lighter silver tone of this watch and was interested by the minute recording hand as I had not seen one like it before. It appears to be pukka and not modified. Also It was nice and affordable at £40 which always helps.

I was mostly worried about the crystal because the 320W28GN is difficult to locate now Speedy has gone;-( I was preparing myself for another epic polishing session but after hours of dedicated searching through his huge mountain of crap Stefano triumphantly emailed to let me know he had found one;-)....excellent.

The 6139A movement was pretty clean and working so only needed a full service and a few missing screws replacing. At least the last person to service it did not spray oil everywhere, the Diashocks and bearings generally were dry but not full of dirty oil.

Dial is in good condition but the lume was missing in a couple of places and so was stripped and redone. Due to the hot weather what is usually a simple and quick task turned out to be a chore as the lume was loosing its workability in about 30 seconds (using lacquer) so needed thinning every indice and remixing every third. The hands needed doing too, the paint was not too good on these either so I stripped off the black paint using paint stripper and sprayed them black and relumed to match the dial colour.

The case and bezel were a little damaged so required some filing and sanding. Getting the original factory finish correct is difficult for the amateur with these 8002's so as had all been rubbed away and beaten up I resorted to just Scotchbrite. New pusher gaskets transformed the chronograph functions and hopefully new crown and caseback gaskets help water resistance.

For the bracelet I filed down a 20mm oyster to fit the 19mm lugs.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Amazing, what takes me a year and a half, you complete in a week and a half, lovely result too.

·
Vendor
1,693 Posts
"Dedicated searching through his huge mountain of (crap) Stefano found one"
Thanks Mike lol
Lovely job as always, love that dial & hands combo!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Great work Mike, your 6139 collection continues to grow apace. I have been eyeing a silver dialled one recently myself which is odd for me since I don't generally like silver dials. This case design makes it quite attractive to me.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Like chalk and cheese Mike :) Nice job as normal. You do spot on work making those cases look bling bling and new again! Can't say I like these models myself as they always look like the outer bezel's fallen off to me. That said this one does appeal :) Like the hands and you can't beat a bit of proof or resist on the dial :cool:

Speaking as a noob to all this but congrats!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts