The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speedy once commented on how many 7100's are out there that have been ruined by polishing away their factory finish.

The 6139-7100 you must admit has a unique look to it, I call it the barnacle but that's me, others like to call it Helmet, Daft Vader etc. Apart from its shape its other defining charactoristic has to be its case finish. The top of the shielded lugs have a radial machined finish and the sides brushed with a nice really sharp definition between the two when new.

Unfortunately the cases often get 'normal' molestation in the form of polishing that removes what's left of the factory finish and rounds off all the edges. when I first set out collecting 6139's I acquired a 7100 that was not too bad but had been polished on the sides and the bezel too. I had to fit aftermarket hands and dial and after repainting the indices and relumeing they looked OK. But after seeing pictures of undamaged 7100's I set myself a mental note to get one with a better case.

Well the opportunity revealed itself the other week when I spotted this on Ebay:-

The chance was taken and resulted in an unmolested all original example but without a bracelet. It had a lot of use, the strip down revealed massive amounts of wear in the mainplate/mainspring arbor hole (can not really call it a bush as it is just a hole) necessitating a replacement mainplate. The case was pretty good but had a couple of dings but thats history:) and does not show too badly. The bezel though was badly scratched but fairly easy to emery off, not polish as this rounds the surfaces.

Then after a clean up, new seals and a Sternkreuz crystal (good match for the original) and bracelet from the spares draws, job done.

To illustrate that not all aftermarket dials and hands have to be bad here is a picture of my first polished 7100 net to my latest (with the fishbone bracelet). The giveaway is the shape of the black outline to the day/date windows, on the original the corners are more radiused.

The 7100 is a strange looking watch but having the original finish intact makes it enigmatic imo.

·
Administrator
32,631 Posts
That looks superb Mike and good work, I remember "speedy" made a contraption up on his lathe to try and reproduce the correct finish.

I managed to get a NOS bezel and crystal for mine, a while since I changed them but I seem to remember the crystal seal was flat and not L shaped or something.

Mine has never been polished either which i was glad about :)

I find it good to wear and a bit of a favourite :) never did get the correct bracelet for it though.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
that looks gorgeous...wow..

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seeing yours John makes me realise my 7100 search is still on for a black one, drat. The crystal seats on a flat sided 'O' ring type gasket.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
That's a nice looking watch Mike. I like the way the case curves, but I wonder how it would sit on someone who has bigger wrists then thee or me ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Barnacle! Now that's a nick I wholeheartedly endorse! I never got that Helmet, Darth Vader semblance anyway. I have both, luckily my "Bobby Deerfield" has most of its factory brushing left untouched as well, safe some wabi. Enjoy the watch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts