The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fascinating lot of three 6139-7010’s just sold at auction for a tidy sum of $2,136 USD.

There has always been the belief that these watches were made for the Japanese Defence force, but never has there been definitive proof.

Enter the lot pictured below.

You’ll note that two of the casebacks bear custom engraving. A bit of research and I discovered that the flower is a Japanese cherry blossom, which is a symbol used by the Japanese Air Self Defence Force. I’ve included a screenshot from Wikipedia showing the same symbol as on the casebacks.

I am told by a friend that the Kanji inscription reads something close to: Japanese Air Force Defence Team.

This is a significant discovery and should make those of us lucky enough to own one of these watches love them just a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s my 7010... share yours if you have one!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Based on chrono second hand (one pice type) I believe both on that auction is 6139-7012. Correct the Japanese letter stands for JASDF (Air Force).

The '6139-7012' (if my guess is correct) and serial number should be engraved on inner side of caseback. Like picture below.
That is JMSDF (Japan Maritime Self Defense Force).

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on chrono second hand (one pice type) I believe both on that auction is 6139-7012. Correct the Japanese letter stands for JASDF (Air Force).

The '6139-7012' (if my guess is correct) and serial number should be engraved on inner side of caseback. Like picture below.
That is JMSDF (Japan Maritime Self Defense Force).

That is fascinating and thank you for posting! Hopefully the buyer will check and share.

Have you seen many of these casebacks in the past? That 7010 pic you shared... did that one have a 7012 caseback?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is fascinating and thank you for posting! Hopefully the buyer will check and share.

Have you seen many of these casebacks in the past? That 7010 pic you shared... did that one have a 7012 caseback?

Yes that's 6139 7012 not 7010, the 6139-7012, serial number and 'Japan' + suwa symbol (EDIT: not suwa symbol but 'A') are engraved on inner side of casback. The outer side of caseback is for JMSDF (in Kanji) with it's symbol, also has kind of number (probably personel number). More detail here
https://kulitjerukbali.blogspot.com/2019/03/seiko-6139-7010-7011-7012-military-7012.html

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
JASDF. Japanese air self defence force. As military self defence was ok, but offensive forces were banned by treaty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts