The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the crystal for this model (330W18GN) double domed or flat top?

I have a '70 notch case with what looks like it's original crystal which is domed.

The 3 others in my collection have replacement crystals that are flat topped.

Which is correct?

TIA

·
Craftsman
3,724 Posts
Looking at an original nos 330W18GN it is flat on top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just replaced a genuine Seiko crystal 330W18GN00 (broken) on 6319-6002 Pogue and it was flat. The edges are bevelled. Sternkraus replacement is also flat, bevelled and fits no problem on this model. Maybe other 6xxx have a different one.

·
Craftsman
3,724 Posts
Is there two versions of the original one ? I think Mike/Polly mentioned two to me not long back.
Some early 69' Proof models have a crystal with a metal outside ring. The one I have also has a flat top.

I inquired with Jonathan some time ago about flat verses a slightly domed crystal I had on a used 6139-600x I had. He told me the 6139 crystals should be flat on top, domed underneath.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. I asked Tom Hickman about my double domed one a while back and he said it was correct. Maybe he can weigh in again?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hmmm. I asked Tom Hickman about my double domed one a while back and he said it was correct. Maybe he can weigh in again?
:) I've been reading and waiting to see what others thought ;)

I have seen slightly domed ones before. I have seen plenty of flat ones. I have seen some with an outer ring as also mentioned. I wouldn't like to say for the domed ones I have seen whether they were original...but certainly in the (at least one and not sure if more) cases it did not look 'wrong'.

Sorry, no help at all! I'm better at fixing than researching...

What year and model number is your watch in question anyhow?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
From what I've seen early watches with the 6139A movement and notched cases have a convex or domed crystal and later watches & replacement Seiko crystals are flat crystal. My NOS '78 watch has a flat crystal where as my March '69 Proof/proof has a domed crystal. Thing is these crystals are so easy to scratch (hardex sucks) that it's likely a lot were changed during their early lifetime. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I checked through 12 of mine tonight and there are more domed than flat :)
TigerUK...I am of the mindset that domed crystals came on all the "early"watches - which to me, is anything prior to Q2 of '72. That is when I believe the "resist' markings were dropped from the dial faces.

I think all notch cases should definitely be domed and likely ALL "proof" and "resist" watches as well.

Can you provide any more insight into which watches of your 12 had domes, specifically the year/months and the "proof" and "resist" statuses?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
My 7/73 6139 6005 has a flat crystal, but it's in very good condition so may have been a replacement.

I've had 4x6139 6012s (uses the same crystal) and three of them have had domed crystals ('76,'73,?). Only one has a flat crystal. It's an early one (two piece seconds hand, but I don't remember the serial right now) but the crystal may be too good to be new.
My small sample suggests that the domed crystal was the latter crystal.

Sorry to contradict.

Via the interweb from a land downunder

·
Administrator
30,721 Posts
TigerUK...I am of the mindset that domed crystals came on all the "early"watches - which to me, is anything prior to Q2 of '72. That is when I believe the "resist' markings were dropped from the dial faces.

I think all notch cases should definitely be domed and likely ALL "proof" and "resist" watches as well.

Can you provide any more insight into which watches of your 12 had domes, specifically the year/months and the "proof" and "resist" statuses?

Thanks.
Hi i could of back then but things have changed round a lot since then, sorry.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Thanks Bodo. The post from Seiko Pyscho in that thread pretty much seals the deal for me: domed = early / flat = late. See quoted post below:

"I've studied these 6139-600X crystals extensively and although others report the flat top 330W18GN crystals are the early crystals and the 330W18GN domed crystals are the late crystals this information is incorrect. The early crystals are double domed and the late crystals have an inner dome and a flat top. My conclusions are based on studies of dozens of original, untouched, early and late 6139-600X watches".

Now...all we have to settle is what is "early". :D But as I have previously stated, I believe "early" is anything BEFORE Q2 of '72, when the I believe the RESIST was dropped from the faces. But I could be swayed it is actually even earlier than that - like the "proof" and notched case examples.

·
Craftsman
3,724 Posts
I've been compiling some statistics concerning my findings and hopefully will be posting them soon. The more examples I can add the better.......

·
Registered
125 Posts
Some early 69' Proof models have a crystal with a metal outside ring. The one I have also has a flat top.

I inquired with Jonathan some time ago about flat verses a slightly domed crystal I had on a used 6139-600x I had. He told me the 6139 crystals should be flat on top, domed underneath.
This is second notched case (may 1969) I found that have flat top (domed inside) and with outside metal ring...

pixlr_20170311162704878.jpg

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,724 Posts
That crystal is correct for a May of 69' 6139-600X and is dated near the change over to the double domed crystal without the metal ring.

Here is mine dated from June of 69' which has the double dome crystal without the ring

Here is a 6139-6010 Speedtimer from May of 69' which has the flat top ringed crystal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts