The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a 'Pogue' 6139 as I've never been quite sold on the yellow dial or the pepsi bezel, but the rarer 6032 with it's black and red colour scheme and two-tone dial is a smart looking machine to my eye. I bought this example as non-functioning but good cosmetically, ideal for me as I get as much enjoyment out of the restoration process as wearing the watch.

When I stripped the watch the only obvious problem was a broken minute recording wheel, which the super helpful Tom Hickman fixed for me with his staking set, so many thanks to Tom - cheers!

However, as I always seem to have trouble with 6139s the story doesn't end there. The reassembled movement was running really slow, which turned out to be the balance assembly (still not quite sure exactly what the issue was with it). Then I had more time going missing in the night, due to a loose cannon pinion. After that I found the watch would intermittently stop when chrono wasn't running, a new chrono bridge fixed that one, and finally the chrono would occasionally stop at the 59 sec mark while the watch was still running, as the clutch on the centre wheel was slipping. I'm glad I persevered though as I now have a watch that looks and runs pretty much exactly as Seiko intended, so hopefully my 6139 curse is broken.

With the addition of one of Jonathan's solid H link bracelets (so much better than the Seiko original), I can finally appreciate why this shape 6139 is so popular, it's a real pleasure to wear and use.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
That is a nice watch. Sometimes 6138/9's can be a royal pain to sort out when they are clapped out and have been abused. I have had all the same problems plus more on one watch (several times) but you are right they are well worth persevering with.

I have been helped out by Tom, he's grrrrrreat:93:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
that is a real beauty...great find..

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hey Sam, you're welcome mate, it's always nice to help and this was just such a small job. I do hope it holds out for you.

What a beautiful example, congratulations! I'm quite pleased you didn't find it too easy to do :hee20hee20hee: but of course it gets easier the more you do. Then same as everything, some will give you no problems, some will just not behave no matter what you think you is up and replace or fix.

So what's your next project???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts