The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my dad's 6139-6019 17J for years and would like to restore it. The crystal is gouged beyond the point of polishing; so it'll need to be replaced. Also, I opened up the caseback and the balance is complete unwound and wrapped around the oscillating weight. A quick google search shows crystals are available and not too terribly difficult to replace. Unfortunately, a new balance seems to be a bit harder to find and, without a few special tools, a bit more difficult to replace. The pushers seem a bit gritty too; so I assume they'll need to be cleaned, lubed and I'll need to replace the springs and seals.

Assuming I DO try to do all of this myself, what all, tool wise, am I going to need? Does the balance need to be tuned once replaced? Any recommendations on suppliers for parts?

If I don't try to do this myself, any recommendations on reputable place to get the work done?

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you don't have any prior experience servicing watches (and from what you said it appears you don't), I wouldn't advise doing it yourself unless you want to do more damage. On top of it it obviously has sentimental value, find a reputable watchmaker who can do an overhaul for you. Search around the forum, there are several that are often mentioned and will give you excellent service and peace of mind. Also, tools you wold need to do it yourself would cost you way more than service.

With a lot of practice, you may be able to service it yourself of course. :)

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
This is all stuff one can learn over time. As far as trying your luck as a watchmaking novice on your Dad's 6139 -uh, no. Don't give it a go.

Have it done by a pro, or at least an amateur watch repairer who has the parts.

The pusher gaskets (technically they are o-rings or even D-rings) need to be replaced without a doubt. Once done the odds of smooth opearation are quite high. If not it's a hammer issue but needs to be done anyway. That is something you can do yourself and hope it's just the gaskets (likely).

You could buy a full balance assembly and swap it (YouTube for installing) and that might get it running, too. But the fact remains it needs a professional servicing to run well and for a long time coming. Not doing a real overhaul could easily lead to the same overhaul cost in the future with spare parts required on top of that.

The new balance will need to be timed for beat error and daily rate so a TimeGrapher is needed (cheap/free iphone apps are sketchy).

We all have recommendations for a full service, where are you located ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Related to this post.

Looking at an eBay 6139 6002 watch. States watch bezel paralyzed.

my question. Items state bezel is paralyzed. What does that mean? Paralyzed because of a part that is not for watch? Or it was not serviced. Please explain

Response.
The internal bezel does not rotate, it does not rotate. but the clock functions like reset to 0, mark your time and push buttons are working. The only detail is that the inner bezel does not rotate.

I’m new to this watch fun. Is this something I can get repaired ? What’s going on here. Any advice?

Thanks
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
The bezel isn't meant to rotate. It is fixed. The inner rotating ring is likely not functioning because the little gear on the stem is missing or broken. Or teeth on the underside of the INR are damaged.

Thanks. I knew the inner ring was supposed to move. You explanation was helpful.

I have a long post coming when my watch arrives. I knowing bought a cobbled up watch. How cobbled that is the question. Probably a mistake. I can’t afford a clean 6002. It has this issue. I figured I would document details of this watch and build it back to close to possible. Like fixing an old car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts