The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is not a piece restored from junk metal, but when I've found this watch, it needed crystal polish, gasket replacement,case refinishing and a little love ;)

That's how I got it, badly scratched crystal, full of gunk, all around dinged and scratched plus dried out gaskets.
And the hour&minute hand are Seiko, but not for this model. The bracelet as well.

Caseback off, the movement looks clean, the back gasket is dead, and replaced by a new one

Taking the movement out, and examining the crown and pushers gaskets - all are dry... and replaced.
The crown is taken out like a 6309 diver - pushing the little thing near the stem hole.
Pushers are taken out like that: you have to push them both half way and then take out the movement holding ring,
that holds the pushers from coming out.

After some crystal polishing, I took the bezel off and the crystal, in order to examine the gasket. It was still fine.
I like to put a very small amount of silicon on the gasket, but some watch experts say it's bad. ::)

About crystal polishing - I'll try to make a thread about it, but in one sentence - I use sanding paper with 300, 1200, 2000 grit,
and sand the crystal when the paper is on two layers of cloth (if it's a domed crystal),on a hard surface.
Than I sand the crystal starting with the 300 paper, getting the deep scratches out, and than working my way with 1200 > 2000.
lastly I use some metal polishing paste for the final polish.
For case finishing, I try to restore as little as I can, to keep the original lines sharp and original.
most of the time metal polishing paste is enough, here I gave some more work on the crystal bezel, which was in bad shape.

Now for some wrist time :)

I still have to replace the hands to the right ones but that's some other time...
Thanks for looking,
Galpo

Edit:
Additional work was done a day or two later -
I've replaced the hour and minute hands to the correct ones (had them on a parts 6139)

and relumed those hands and the dial.
Here it is, with new hand and lume:

Lume shot:

BDA:

Thanks again,
Galpo

·
Registered
7 Posts
wow that is a great mini restoration. i have the identical looking watch, though mine says 6319- 6060t on the dial, my case back is too worn to read the model. my serial # would put mine just a few months older than yours dec '72. does your have 6012 on the dial?

i am inspired to try sanding my crystal before having it replaced.
thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
joe said:
. my serial # would put mine just a few months older than yours dec '72. does your have 6012 on the dial?

i am inspired to try sanding my crystal before having it replaced.
thanks!
Mine says "-6060" on the dial. according to the "Watch photo database" that's the correct dial, but hands are not:
(photos are from the "Watch photo database")

this is from a 6139 old catalog posted by Isthmus:

[img]http://www.tokunaga.ne.jp/images/SCF/6138-6139/6139pic-2-s.jpg

and my own watch's serial indicates march 1973:

Thanks,
Galpo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts