The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've gone over and over this, but I'd like to get my head straight about these models. I don't believe that any documentary evidence in the form of period advertisements exists for these, but they are seen relatively regularly. I believe they were non-U.S. models, correct?

What standards exist for evaluating one? What sub-model numbers were they? I've owned one, a -6002. It was on the oval-link (in cross-section) bracelet, all correct to itself. The inner bezel was black. What dial codes should they have? I've seen "Resist" and blank dials, but don't know that I've ever seen a "proof" but can't remember.

Input anyone?

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello from Spain. The pic posted in that thread was an eby image of my silver proof 6139-6000 before i got it. Here is:

Is from september, 1969.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Cobrajet has the dial codes to confirm that the silver dial 6139-600X's are authentic. Hopefully he will chime in to this post and provide them. Aside from that I always wondered if the 6139-600X's were really produced with silver dials due to lack of official advertisements. I have both a plain silver dial and a Resist silver dial 6139.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a near NOS one that I sold, like an idiot. I have another one coming but it's going to be a restoration project. I seem to remember someone here estimating that perhaps only 5-10% of the 6139 run were the silver-dialed versions. I wonder if that's the case.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
For the little I know some of it is about this watch I would Think that only 10 or 15 % were silver Dials

If you took a Poll of all of US that have 6139-600X There would be a way to get a better idea of the % of silver dials.

I have 12- 6139-600Xs One that is with JK is Silver/Rest 6002 And it was not that I was not wanting more, either the Cond

or the Scarcity of them I have less then 10% in my Collection
I would love to hear from those that have been collecting for a long time, or those of you that really Had great intrest in the 600Xs
of your % of Silver Dials.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Whatever their story they are beautiful and I'd love to find one to go with my blue and gold dial versions.
Looking forward to see more pics of them in this thread, keep them coming! :celebrate:

/Stefan

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The dial codes on the silver-dialed watches match the dial codes on the blue and yellow dials, so I think they are legit. I think the code is 6139-6030??? I don't think I have ever seen one with the "17J Automatic" dial, but rather they all have the "Chronograph Automatic" dial.

Nearly all (or all?) of the silver dial I have seen are 6139-6002s, and most seem to come from Australia. They are almost always on the Stelux 6139-600x bracelet...I don't think I have seen one I was sure was original with the more commonly seen folded-link bracelet.

I'd say 5% of these watches have silver dials. Tops. ---A

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have a proof dial that Technoman had somehow found. It's extrememly Wabi'd and was in need of little TLC but being all original, she needed to be saved. She was kept kept "as is" cosmetically, save for one of Swedefreak's crystals. As far as them coming from Australia as CobraJet suggested, if they were for the Australia market, would they have had Kanji daywheels?

I also have a plain dial that is at Swedefreak's, in his queue, getting a replacement dial he happened to have. Dial code for the plain is 6139-6030R.

Scarcity-wise, I have no idea. All I know is I would love to find an all original resist dial in excellent condition to complete the silver set!
O:)

Here's a pic of the proof dial...she's on an original 6139-600x bracelet but from a later watch...

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Happy to see the old Proof dial Dave, hope your still loving it....

Having owned a few of these now the other thing I have noted is that they all seemed to have an English/Roman day wheel?

Here is my current silver, resist dial 6002...

daveswordfish said:
I'm fortunate enough to have a proof dial that Technoman had somehow found.

Here's a pic of the proof dial...she's on an original 6139-600x bracelet but from a later watch...

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Technoman said:
Having owned a few of these now the other thing I have noted is that they all seemed to have an English/Roman day wheel?

My newest just arrived today. Pretty hacked dial. 6030 marked, serifed "1" in the subdial, "Chronograph Automatic" dial text. September '72. And a French / English daywheel. I can't guarantee this is an original setup as the watch has clearly been opened before, but it's FE for sure. It's in the process of getting a relume or I'd post a shot. My first one was Roman / English

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Regarding daywheels, the proof I have has an "asian" language wheel. Not quite sure what language, as it is not the same as the typical kanji daywheel. In the pic I posted yesterday, Wednesday looks like the same III representation we see on the Roman wheel. In reality, it is a bit different when you see it firsthand. Here is another pic though, with a different day being shown. Also of note, is that the post by Lince earlier in the thread,seems to show a Spanish wheel? Tough to say what's original and what's a replacement, but there does seem to be a variance, indicating the possibility that the Silvers were origianally made for multiple markets.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's Chinese - my 1969 6139-6010 Proof has that

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Wow Dave, I never noticed that. That does look like a Chinese day wheel.. Awesome..

daveswordfish said:
Regarding daywheels, the proof I have has an "asian" language wheel. Not quite sure what language, as it is not the same as the typical kanji daywheel. In the pic I posted yesterday, Wednesday looks like the same III representation we see on the Roman wheel. In reality, it is a bit different when you see it firsthand. Here is another pic though, with a different day being shown. Also of note, is that the post by Lince earlier in the thread,seems to show a Spanish wheel? Tough to say what's original and what's a replacement, but there does seem to be a variance, indicating the possibility that the Silvers were origianally made for multiple markets.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have the non resist Silver dial.... Unfortunetely with non original bracelet and case (?).
Cause it have white inner ring which sould be black-grey...
But I really love it.....

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the newest but I'm using an iPhone for shots - the watch is worn but nothing near as rough as this makes it look. It came as essentially junk, but I cleaned and relumed etc. It's amazing what a thorough cleaning will do for a watch.

I'm still wondering about the daywheel being French / English when every other one I've seen is Roman / English. I'm considering swapping it out as I have a spare Roman one around.

Thoughts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts