The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
29,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of nights ago I decided to replace a Pepsi bezel on a 6002 with a NOS one I have.

Removed the old one, checked that all was good underneath the old bezel, gasket, metal seat and wavy spring all there and in good condition (I knew they where but I still checked :) ).

Went through my normal routine for these and it would not click into place so I tried another old bezel I had in my spares and fitted no problem, this wasent a proof case so not the problem with the thicker/thin gasket ring, strange.

I then decided to strip the case down totally, just a bare case, fitted 6 old bezels onto the empty case with no problem and a nice click, looking good.

I now attempted to fit the NOS bezel to the empty case but it wouldent fit, bugger !!!

I measured the internal diameter of the old bezels and the new, if anything the NOS bezel was .05mm ish smaller and slightly oval ish which I wouldent really think would cause a problem ?

What I did notice all the old bezels had a very slight undercut as per the photo below whereas the NOS one dident.

Anyone got any bezels convenient that you can see if they have the undercut/grove ?

Whether the undercut/ machining makes a difference I have no idea but with it they fitted, the NOS without dident fit, frustrating :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
As far as I know, there is a different inner ring, holding the crystal gasket. If I remember right, the ring is thicker with later Cases and the old Cases used the thinner ring. This was also discussed somewhere here in a old thread.
Never noticed that bezel difference. Or is the nos bezel the bezel for the lookalike Sorna Pogue?

Gesendet von meinem A0001 mit Tapatalk

·
Administrator
29,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, there is a different inner ring, holding the crystal gasket. If I remember right, the ring is thicker with later Cases and the old Cases used the thinner ring. This was also discussed somewhere here in a old thread.
Never noticed that bezel difference. Or is the nos bezel the bezel for the lookalike Sorna Pogue?

Gesendet von meinem A0001 mit Tapatalk
Nothing to do with the gasket ring (thin for notch case, thick for later) as I tried fitting to a empty case :)

NOS bezel is #89999631 which is correct for 6139-600X

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
100% sure it's not an NOS parts envelope? Even the counterfeit package printing is getting pretty good. Never seen a bezel without the undercut.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Can you show Pics of the bezel from the front?

I’ve just checked the 4 loose ones I have here and they all have a channel cut out.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Aftermarket bezel in an original envelope? (a con basically). Use the proper NOS bezel then flog an aftermarket bezel in the good envelope for the same money.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Looks AM to me, too light blue, the dash marks should slightly curve round the edge of the insert too :(

Originally the early bezels were really dark and NOS should be almost navy looking. The later bezels we’re a lighter blue when new but this is my NOS early (non dash at 12) bezel

·
Administrator
29,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks AM to me, too light blue, the dash marks should slightly curve round the edge of the insert too :(

Originally the early bezels were really dark and NOS should be almost navy looking. The later bezels we’re a lighter blue when new but this is my NOS early (non dash at 12) bezel
True, I had forgot about that :(

Note the damage around the 80-75 and 90, it is almost like the insert is ceramic/glass.

All good learning knowledge.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I'd have to agree, it's an aftermarket bezel.

·
Administrator
29,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does go to show how harder it is getting to tell OEM from after market/fake.

I imagine a lot of buyers are getting burnt these days and don't realise it, you only have to look on the likes of ebay and the amount of fakes being sold is staggering and selling for big money.

Anyone got a OEM Pepsi bezel they want to sell ? :)

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
What surprises me the most is that I have never seen an aftermarket tachy bezel without the 'box at 60' and those minute markers seem to have the right spacing etc.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The cost of a NOS Bezel is ranging from $250 to $350 Not an exaggeration . That was what I was offered yesterday. It was hard to believe Yet I paid $200.00 each Bought a package im sure some of you saw it?
Three 6139-600x Two Coke and Two 6138-001x UFO I was desperate to finish Two 6139-600xs Both Needed Bezels Beautiful watches but needed the bezels.
There has been one of our Members offering $250 + and up for a NOS or Good one with no luck as of yet. I don't know were things will go?? The cost of an OEM Bezel has raised the price of the watches also OEM Hands, were?? to Source?? OEM Dials?? many AM parts all over the place, The popularity of the 6139-600x has become increasing Stronger as Newer members are wanting Theres. They are Very Nice watches that have Become much more expensive for a nice OEM Example. Good Hunting BTW After reading this post tonight I looked at my stock and realized A Bezel I thought was OEM turned out to be AM The Lip coming over the Edge was not there PAINFUL but oi now understand better then ever beforere. Mike Thanks and all of the teachers Thank YOU

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The cost of a NOS Bezel is ranging from $250 to $350 Not an exaggeration . That was what I was offered yesterday. It was hard to believe Yet I paid $200.00 each Bought a package im sure some of you saw it?
Three 6139-600x Two Coke and Two 6138-001x UFO I was desperate to finish Two 6139-600xs Both Needed Bezels Beautiful watches but needed the bezels.
There has been one of our Members offering $250 + and up for a NOS or Good one with no luck as of yet. I don't know were things will go?? The cost of an OEM Bezel has raised the price of the watches also OEM Hands, were?? to Source?? OEM Dials?? many AM parts all over the place, The popularity of the 6139-600x has become increasing Stronger as Newer members are wanting Theres. They are Very Nice watches that have Become much more expensive for a nice OEM Example. Good Hunting BTW After reading this post tonight I looked at my stock and realized A Bezel I thought was OEM turned out to be AM The Lip coming over the Edge was not there PAINFUL but oi now understand better then ever beforere. Mike Thanks and all of the teachers Thank YOU
Yeah, exactly why I haven’t sold mine. If i ever need one in the future, I don’t even want to imagine how much it’ll cost me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yeah, exactly why I haven’t sold mine. If i ever need one in the future, I don’t even want to imagine how much it’ll cost me.
Same really. I have a few bezels in varying health but only one NOS one, I also have a NOS still sealed yellow inner bezel which was quite a catch (especially at a price you’d expect rrp to be)

I’ve toyed with selling bits but it’s not about the money, as mentioned above I reckon I could get twice what my Yellow Pogue cost me for a NOS bezel. It wouldn’t be so bad if you could buy another one if you wanted it but genuine NOS ones aren’t easy to get. I like having a new spare as I have 3 watches that could need it one day.

Mind you they are really tough parts and it’s pretty unlikely I’ll destroy one, saying that I did ding my Bullhead crystal the other day & I’d consider myself Uber paranoid not to damage them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts