The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its is a dangerous thing waiting for parts for a project especially when you see something like this. Everytime you buy something like this I guess there is always going to be an element of risk, but I guess that all adds to the excitement in many ways.

I have managed to find all the parts I need except a crystal gasket, so if you have a surplus one you want to offload give me a shout.

Do any of you guys in your experience think the crystal could possibly be salvageable from the pics, I can get a NOS crystal at reasobable price so maybe its just better to go for it so at least I have it when the watch arrives. Waiting for parts is a killer and at the rate I am going will end up with a number of watches in various states of repair, or is that just inevitable ;D

6139-6005-2 by FoweyUK, on Flickr

6139-6005-1 by FoweyUK, on Flickr

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fingers crossed and all that, cant wait to get my hands on it :)

Jonathan, of course, he has given me details on crystals for my 6309 project, I will pm him now.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
the crystal is useable... any crystal is useable as long as it's not broken. "Salvageable"? Nope, JMO. Hardlex isn't really something you can polish clean. A new crystal and crystal gasket are just a PM away to Jonathan, and the watch will thank you every day afterwards!

:)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
[size=1.35em]Luckily Speedy will probably have the parts required. Me being a bodger would have a crack at sanding off the Hardlex glass and finishing with glass polish. Tiger John and co. would think me crazy but Patience and care pay off for me (it is very labour intensive).

[size=1.35em]I have also used a crystal gasket from tryabidforit of the correct profile but smaller in diameter. I stretched it on a tapered mandrel for a couple of days and left it in the sun. It was slightly oversize but as it shrank I installed it into the case and pushed in the glass. [size=medium]Another bodge but it worked and may be of help if short of the correct part.

[size=1.35em]Spencer is correct about Hardlex it can't be just polished when in that state, it must be sanded down first, I have done the same with Sapphlex also.

[size=1.35em]Mike

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pollyc, I will have a practice with the glass as it is all part of my learning curve, but have decided to aquire crystal and full gasket set from Jonathan as I have high hopes for this project.

I have found a couple of sites that sell gaskets, o'rings etc by size, does anyone know or know where I can get these sizes from for Seiko watches?

Will update this thread so I can show off the fruits of my labours.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its is a dangerous thing waiting for parts for a project especially when you see something like this. Everytime you buy something like this I guess there is always going to be an element of risk, but I guess that all adds to the excitement in many ways.

I have managed to find all the parts I need except a crystal gasket, so if you have a surplus one you want to offload give me a shout.

Do any of you guys in your experience think the crystal could possibly be salvageable from the pics, I can get a NOS crystal at reasobable price so maybe its just better to go for it so at least I have it when the watch arrives. Waiting for parts is a killer and at the rate I am going will end up with a number of watches in various states of repair, or is that just inevitable ;D

6139-6005-2
by FoweyUK, on Flickr

6139-6005-1
by FoweyUK, on Flickr
Hi mate. This is what I do

1 - 9 of 9 Posts