The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to share a few pics of a recent dial restoration I did on a watch I am in the process of servicing. I have always admired dial work by the greats in this area including Tom, Guy, and Simon but until now never had the opportunity to relume a complete dial. I have done many hands and some lume pips and touched up and indices here and there but never a complete dial.

First, let me say how tedious and exacting this work is. Watchmakers earn every penny they make given the amount of effort and skill involved. I am quite proud of the outcome I achieved with this dial but I did learn a few things along the way. I used a 50/50 mix of Bergeon white lume to binder. Swiss lume is very fine grain and if I could do this over I would have gone for a more granular lume like the one from Noctilumina to better emulate the original Seiko lume. Maybe a tad less binder.

The lume plots on the original Pogues either appear to ramp downward from the shiny peak to the lower edge or appear as domed pillows trailing off to the 4 corners. I went for the latter look. Even looking at factory lume under a loop shows peaks and valleys so they were not perfect and neither am I. Overall I am very pleased with the result of my first complete dial restoration and wanted to share a few before and after pics. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Stunning Transformation especially considering how bad the black and cruddy the old lume looked. I would never be happy with a watch with old moldy lume but now it looks Fantastic! Beautiful work there :)

Quick question about reluming. From my experience most of the original, old lume has nearly no glow or glows only faintly for only a very short period of time. Does your relume glow brightly like a torch or can it be made No Glow? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kyle - As for glow, there are a number of things you can do. This lume is straight out of the bottle and believe it to be super luminova so it does glow brightly in this instance. Noctilumina makes a number of no glow or low glow pigments you can purchase. I have also custom mixed the Bergeon bone white with Noctilumina No glow tan 2:1 to achieve an aged cream or light tan color lume that has a much lower level of glow to it. The owner of this watch has other plans for this piece so we kept it simple here. Nothing too fancy.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Great work John!

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Looks great John, and you are correct. The original lumes were not perfect and many times a relume is done better.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
That will be a great wearable watch John. Great work on that dial!

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's an amazing restoration, wonderful job! Great to see another one brought back!

And my opinion is that the lume on a vintage watch should not glow as brightly as current models. And if it does glow, should fade quickly.

All the best,

Neel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts