The Watch Site banner

6139-6002 Pick Up and Questions

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Vette Enthusiast 
#1 ·
Purchased this job lot of watches for sale on ebay Australia after spotting the 6139-6002. Listing was poorly titled and not much of a description.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/watches-parts-accessories/254397619655?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Didn't ask questions during the auction but asked seller to send a photo of the case back after I had won which revealed a missing crown in the first photo.
Once received I could see the stem spring in place so hoping the bezel gear will be there as well. After a couple of shakes I could see the watch was working and actually keeps quite good time but the sweep second hand will need adjusting. I will need at least a new stem and crown so my question is of all the spares available on ebay are any genuine parts. I have dealt with a couple of the sellers before. One in the US and the other in the UK who both look to specialize in Seiko parts.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like a great score!

Original crowns are difficult to source but they are out there. The same is true for the stems. I would use an original stem to accommodate the gear + spring but an aftermarket crown should suffice if an original can't be found.

Seiko changed the design of the crown at some point. The majority of original crowns are dimpled but a later production run, possibly decades later, eliminated the dimple.

#5 ·
That looks a pretty decent honest example and hopefully not to much rubbish gone in the crown hole.

Apart from crystals and gaskets I would always use OEM parts however good the after market parts are, I can see the day coming where after market will be the only choice but until then OEM every time :)

#9 ·
I have had great luck with aftermarket crown and stems on a couple of 6139s. I don’t think you need OEM necessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Yup! Here is a picture

#12 ·

Fat fingers... both of these are AM.

#14 ·
Finally got this one back from fitting the missing parts and a service. Thanks again to member borgsauce for your help with the original parts. Just need to see if I can clean up the glass a bit. Probably a question asked many times but any suggestions regarding products which would make some improvement to the glass and readily available

Attachments

#19 ·
In order to refinish the crystal it would be best to remove it from the case. Diamond lapping paste in various grades is how I have done it. Check out some of DonJ53's posts on his lapping techniques. It takes a lot of time. IMHO a lot easier to simply replace the crystal with a nice AM one. Refinishing can be done though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.