The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some ideas as to what I should do with this watch.

There is very serious rust damage to the movement. The watch is currently with Sir Alan, who described it as ‘as bad as anything he’s seen’. It will either cost a great deal in parts to salvage the movement, or it may well turn out that the movement is too damaged to be repairable at any cost.

The dial is also degraded, with definition around the perimeter and on the lettering both having suffered from (presumably) the same water ingress.

The case has some rust, unsurprisingly, but will probably clean up well enough.

The hands likewise will probably scrub up well enough

Seduced by the Feb 69 issue date, I paid rather more for this watch than I should have. No matter - that money has now been spent. The question is what to do next.

Replacing the entire movement, even if I could source a 6139a at reasonable cost, makes me feel a touch uncomfortable (franken-wise). Repairing the existing movement will cost a fortune in parts and labour. And even after a clean up and re-lume, the dial will be forever compromised by the water damage that it’s endured. And junking it, or trying to dump it on eBay as a parts project would probably require me to crystallise a considerable loss in %age terms.

SUGGESTION PLEASE !!!!!!

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Metal

Watch Clock Watch accessory Nickel Auto part

Watch Analog watch Clock Jewellery Watch accessory

Ingredient Food Liquid Fluid Recipe

Watch Analog watch Clock Measuring instrument Watch accessory

Vehicle Motor vehicle Font Gas Watercraft

Watch Measuring instrument Jewellery Font Circle

·
Special Member
3,667 Posts
Get a donor movement, salvage what you can from the original. As per dial, once the markers are scraped of old lume and the dial carefully cleaned, it may not be as bad as you think, sure, some evidence of water ingress around a few markers will remain, but might be better than expected.
A lot of dirt on the dial might be just that, rust and dirt
Looking forward to the verdict and what magic can be performed.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
First Lady
2,996 Posts
Get a donor movement, salvage what you can from the original. As per dial, once the markers are scraped of old lume and the dial carefully cleaned, it may not be as bad as you think, sure, some evidence of water ingress around a few markers will remain, but might be better than expected.
A lot of dirt on the dial might be just that, rust and dirt
Looking forward to the verdict and what magic can be performed.

Rob

Exactly what Rob said. A correct donor movement does not a Franken make….

BTW, there is a clean, working correct movement, currently for sale, on the Bay.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,897 Posts
Yup, it is not a Franken with a different 6139A movement. That is completely legit. Fortunately, there is no serial number on a movement (unlike a car engine). Sir Alan can do amazing dial work. A Feb ‘69 is worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Augustus Mears

·
Special Member
3,897 Posts

This is my March ‘69 with some dial damage. Adrian at VTA brought it back just the right amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,933 Posts
Congratulations on finding a Very Early 6139-6000. The caseback alone is probably worth the price of admission :) Surprised to see the serial number at 9794. Based on the High Production Number it looks like 9,999 Early Speed-Timers were made in February? Where did they all go?? Why are there so few that have survived over the years???

·
Special Member
969 Posts
Congratulations on finding a Very Early 6139-6000. The caseback alone is probably worth the price of admission :) Surprised to see the serial number at 9794. Based on the High Production Number it looks like 9,999 Early Speed-Timers were made in February? Where did they all go?? Why are there so few that have survived over the years???
924978 is sitting in my project pile ... it took me a while to track down correct matte hour/minute hands, as I think this watch has service replacements.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Silver

·
Special Member
969 Posts
FWIW, finding a correct 21J 6139A may prove a bit more troublesome than the 17J variant. IMO your best bet is YJ; when I needed a donor I was able to find a scruffy March 1969 example. It wasn't cheap, but had the correct bits that I'll need for the February and April pieces in the project bin.

·
Special Member
2,381 Posts
Update….

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions. I’ve decided to go ahead with the renovation. I’m trying to source a donor 6139a at the moment. In the meantime, Sir Alan has made nice progress with the dial and hands. They’ll never be perfect, but it’s an improvement for sure……

View attachment 498269

View attachment 498270
I just PM'd you, David.

·
Special Member
3,667 Posts
Just think of rainy Tokyo in July during the brief monsoon season, when a Japaneese businessman got caught in a deluge in 1969, while wearing his brand new chronograph...I'm thinking of a cityscape from 'bladerunner'.
The dial tells a story, might as well give it a good one

Rob

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All finished. Thanks to Sir Alan for a monumental effort. Much appreciation also owed to Rainier, who supplied the replacement 6139a movement that allowed the renovation to take place…..

Pic below of the finished article. Also a group photo of the same watch on Uncle S bracelet in company with March ‘69 and July ‘69 examples that Sir Alan also did for me recently.….

Honourable mention also due to Ben Levy who polished the CRCs on the March & July items and did a wonderful job….

Thanks also to the community here on this forum for the encouragement to go ahead with this project. I was very close to dumping this watch back into the market, but now that it’s done I’m very pleased that I went this route (although it has been a very expensive exercise)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Measuring instrument

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts