The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I just serviced a 6138 and this pillar wheel does not look normal. It could be wear with brassing showing through on the inner surface or it could just be some old dried up lubricant. The inside surface of the pillar wheels should look bright shiny silver like the rest of the movement. If the watch still functions properly for the chrono engagement and reset, then it may not be an issue other than cosmetic. You should ask the moderators to move this post over to the watchmaking section.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Possibly because it’s bad? I typically see watchmakers use sharpie (marker) to color/mark a part that they need. So they can show their parts supplier without having to remove it beforehand (i know lazy way).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just serviced a 6138 and this pillar wheel does not look normal. It could be wear with brassing showing through on the inner surface or it could just be some old dried up lubricant. The inside surface of the pillar wheels should look bright shiny silver like the rest of the movement. If the watch still functions properly for the chrono engagement and reset, then it may not be an issue other than cosmetic. You should ask the moderators to move this post over to the watchmaking section.
Thank you for your reply, yes from what i can see looks like a wore part but more interested in the way has those marks on?
How do i move this post over as u suggested?
Thank you

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I remember some old N54 posts about this, where the entire column teeth are black- and on unmolested watches. I don't think there's a fixed reason, but it's likely that the pickling, plating and passivation process wasn't completed correctly. https://www.thewatchsite.com/#/topics/230810

1 - 6 of 6 Posts