The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my son just graduated from college, and his intramural sports team was the Panda Sharks all 4 years. He has a few watches I've passed along to him (a birth year diver, a 7625 dress watch, others I can't recall) and I wanted to give him one last small gift as he heads off to the "real world" and decided against better judgement that a "Panda" should do the trick. He doesn't care about authenticity, even though I prefer to not deal in assembled watches.

Which leads me to my challenge, the clock is ticking on getting it to him before he heads off for his 1st job, so tonight I finally found a decent looking one on FleaBay, but I'm (as always with that outlet) concerned about authenticity. Please be honest, how'd I do? My intent will be to correct anything that's off, so the more I know, the better:

·
Registered
373 Posts
OK, the dial appears to be aftermarket, one of the clues is on an original dial the "SEIKO" text lines up with word "chronograph" below. In your example the word SEIKO is set a little to the right of the words, "chronograph" and "automatic"(aftermarket dial is on the right). I can't tell if the vertical linen pattern is present on the dial, but I do believe the dial is AM. The case is a little over polished. The hands are difficult to discern the authenticity, however, usually, unless the example is truly an exceptionally mint version, there is fading of red at the tip of the sweep second hand.

If the chronograph function resets to zero in both sub dials, and it keeps decent time. Your son will be thrilled....

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the best looking 6138's.... I'm always suspect of their authenticity when they come up too, so this is a great quick way to judge the dial.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have the same question and based on the photo comparison I'm still unsure. Here's a photo of mine and I would certainly appreciate being further educated on the topic.
P3090014 by vinylgreek, on Flickr

·
Registered
390 Posts
Vynil, from what i can tell its a beautiful original example múnus the hour registre hand.

Drooling over here!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Thanks for the information Shun. I have gotten lucky a few times and this seems to be one of those.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Vinyl, beautiful original dial, another clue... the fine text at the bottom of the dial is slightly smaller on an original dial than the AM. Your case finish is spectacular. The hour counter hand could probably be found if you're OCD like the rest of us. Very nice example!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, the dial appears to be aftermarket, one of the clues is on an original dial the "SEIKO" text lines up with word "chronograph" below. In your example the word SEIKO is set a little to the right of the words, "chronograph" and "automatic"(aftermarket dial is on the right). I can't tell if the vertical linen pattern is present on the dial, but I do believe the dial is AM. The case is a little over polished. The hands are difficult to discern the authenticity, however, usually, unless the example is truly an exceptionally mint version, there is fading of red at the tip of the sweep second hand.

If the chronograph function resets to zero in both sub dials, and it keeps decent time. Your son will be thrilled....
Well, despite the aftermarket dial, he loved it, and the timekeeping is bang on, plus the chrono's reset perfectly, so I'm calling it a win since he's not concerned about authenticity like we all are.

Problem now is I spent 5 days in the car with him driving to CA, looking at it on his wrist every day, and now I have to get one of these for myself, it is beautiful! Anyone knows of a good condition original one, please PM me!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts