The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to pull the movement out of my 6138 Jumbo to re-align the chapter ring to the dial. That went well, until I refitted the stem. It no longer winds the watch up or moves the date wheel (numbered one).

Any way of fixing it without a stripdown, because I sure as hell aren't doing that.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Have you tried to remove stem again and then have another go.
Try at different angles when replacing stem until it works.
Make sure pin that you depress to remove stem is popping back up properly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tried that too. Nothing is getting it back to how it should be.

Edit: when you say second click, is it not meant to be removed like that anyway?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Correct about second click but its broke so nothing to lose! It won't brake it any more.

Your setting mechanism is stuck or yoke is not engaging with clutch wheel correctly, maybe even yoke spring is broken or displaced.

It's either poke about carefully with stem or take apart carefully the choice is all yours.
Its only the hands, dial and day/date wheels that need to come off to see the problem.
Should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed it at the second click first time anyway. This is what I'm saying, was that wrong?

I'm loathed to remove the dial etc, seems a lot of hassle trying to set the hands plus could make it worse.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I did the same with one of my 6139s Gaz. All the poking in the world with the stem didn't sort it out. Fortunately I had a partially disassembled movement to play with. I took a straightened staple and bent over the last millimetre. With the dial up i inserted the staple with the bent portion facing upwards. If you have the movement out, you need to hit a lever just inside the stem hole. You should hear a click and it's all back in place. With the movement cases you have to insert a bit further to get past the case and case ring. Look at the third pic in Polly's guide and you should see a lever just inside the edge of the movement that covers the stem.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The setting lever? Mr Hickman has also kindly sent me some pictures and mentioned similar, sounds like the way forwards.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Right, I think I've got it to wind the watch up in it's furthest in position. The outer numbered day wheel however still isn't being driven in the middle position. The day wheel drives, but when I try to turn the stem the opposite way it feels solid.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The setting lever? Mr Hickman has also kindly sent me some pictures and mentioned similar, sounds like the way forwards.
I think there is the answer to your problems. There are a few guys on here who know the 6138's and are more than able to sort it out for you. I know it's a pain not having your watch working but it sounds like you have gone through all the possible simple fixes. I wish I had followed my own advice I am about to give but I'd contact one of these guys such as Tom or Mike (pollyc) and get them to look at it for you. If you've had it out and back in a few times then I'd say leave it alone or it'll go snap :) Mine did! and then I sent it to Tom ;)

Or if you can't give in just take some time away from it for say 24hrs to clear your head.

Good luck!

Tone

P.S
If it goes totally tits up I've got a Jumbo here that'll make a good parts watch.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I go abroad tomorrow so I'll have to forget about it for now! I think the next stage is it will all have to come apart, and well I don't think I'm the right person for that lol.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Oh the irony of getting in a 6138 and the stem not fitting properly. Now this process is not as easy as a 6139 because of the winding pinion and the hour wheel hammer. Its fiddly and don't attempt if your not in the right frame of mind!

My winding pinion was wedged under the setting lever spring :WTF:

Yes indeed very strange and the reason was the setting wheel lever plate was loose, the screw had come out and so when the setting lever was depressed it must have pushed the spring away from the plate allowing the winding pinion to find its way in there when the stem was reinserted.

The hour hammer spring is also a bit difficult to work onto the hammer plus the hour recording wheel needs a gentle push to seat well or the calender plate will be a pig to seat properly.

Apart from that the setting wheel lever needs a good spin to engage the day. Any ideas I guess I'm going to have to clean it which means more meddling.:34:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gaz...if I'm reading this correctly, you can get the stem back in and you get it to lock in, but it doesn't quickset the date correctly or wind. As pointed out, the 6138 is very different from the 6139. To get to the keyless parts, the hour counter chrono parts have to come off. In the correct order disassembly, these are almost the last parts to come off...and the first to go on. If manipulated out of order...and you are not extremely familiar with the movement, you are almost guaranteed to have a problem. The keyless works in the 6138 are also very unconventional...a lot of parts...many hard to find (both on the floor and from suppliers). Attached image shows keyless...sans the nasty little rocker arm... So get this to someone with experience to sort it out...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts