The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I just won an auction for a 6138 0030 blue kakume. Couldn't pull the pics from the auction but wanted to ask a couple of questions. These questions are always better to ask BEFORE buying a watch.

The chrono hand and hands for the subdial appear to be YELLOW. I assumed this is just advanced aging and is normal? This thing is in pretty rough shape so I can't imagine it was swapped out.

Also, the date window bezel is SS and not black as I've seen in other photos. Is that a red flag for an AM dial?

And some of the subdial numerals have worn off a bit. Can this be normal aging too or is this water ingress?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Is it a regular or Speedtimer version? My Speedtimer has a stainless date surround and the hands are a little orange. I'm sure it's all original - except for the bracelet that is.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426563120.868708.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well do you have any pics of the watch you bought?....beautiful watch Tritto...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Thanks John. It's a stunner and much bigger in person than the pics suggest.

Teatimecrumpet, if you access the eBay listing on a mobile device you can probably take a screenshot - that's what I do to ensure I record what I paid for in case the photos disappear from eBay.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip tritto took a screenshots wasnt allowed to drag and drop the photos.

Meant to say YELLOW for the hands not orange.

Edit: yeah I think this might be an aftermarket dial. I can't find another picture of all the numbers on the bottom subdial being black for each set of numbers. Second number should be a diff color. Anyone know of a black/black subdial?

uploadfromtaptalk1426568458773.png
uploadfromtaptalk1426568580207.png
uploadfromtaptalk1426568588151.png
uploadfromtaptalk1426568595565.png
uploadfromtaptalk1426568603225.png

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hard to say but I think your yellow chrono hands are ok. I think they're genuine. Orange seems to be more common but there are a few shots of yellow hands watches out there too. Somewhere on the WristSushi forum there are some scans showing about 6 different dial variations for this model. Here it is:
http://wristsushi.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=15&action=display&thread=6399

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
It's hard to tell what's genuine and what's not from the photographs. The hour and minute hands have damp damaged lume so the lume on the dial should be the same.

You will have to wait until you can take some close up detail pictures to get a better answer.

One thing I know about Seiko is you may have all genuine parts but the combinations can seem to be endless and determining a definitive watch layout can be difficult. Personally when it comes down to the chronograph hands I would go with whatever colour I like as they seemed to have been swapped regularly at service time as a matter of course.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I believe yellow second and chrono hands is OK for the dial variant you have, I've seen quite a few like that. However I'm not so sure about the day date window, as you say I think it should be black for this dial variant. The numbers in the lower sub dial should be two colours as well, so probably an AM dial I guess.

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
After checking the completed listing for better photos Mike, the chrono hand and the sub dial hands are repainted, aftermarket or both. It's hard to tell with the dial but the lume seems to be consistant with the lume on the hands so it may be original.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for taking a look everyone. I have my fingers crossed on this one. I can take some AM parts if it looks ok. Strange anyone would go to the trouble of sticking AM parts when the case, crystal, and bezel are in such rough shape.

I'll post better pics when it arrives.

Tom, what do you think about the faded subdial markers?

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
I'm at work at the moment Mike. Just taking a short break. I'll have a look when I get home this evening.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well it is a very beautiful watch...and i am sure you can get it sorted either way...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts