The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this JDM 6138 0030 and have been wondering about the case finishing. I know the top has not been refinished since it has the correct radial brushed pattern. I was hoping some of you experts could help me with the sides of the case, do they look to be original or refinished? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well it does not look like it has been fooled with...like are very nice and clean....looks like a nice find too...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Looks like a nice unpolished example to me. I don't have any good shots of the side of mine handy, this is the best I can do. For some reason it seems pretty common that these models have period correct replacement seiko bracelets. Maybe the originals just weren't up to holding big heavy cases.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425416055.447600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
I'd say the case sides have been polished. The edges are not as sharp as from the factory and the bright shine doesn't correspond with normal wear considering the dings and dents.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say the case sides have been polished. The edges are not as sharp as from the factory and the bright shine doesn't correspond with normal wear considering the dings and dents.
That's what I thought too, since the polished parts of my unrefinished 6138-3000 don't look so shiny. Do you have any photos of the proper, untouched sides of the case, by any chance?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also just to be sure, since I'm wary about any case work unless I've done it myself I ended up picking up an untouched and slightly dinged case for this from one of my favorite European parts sellers. The things I do for originality! I also have a case coming in for my 6139 Helmet. Looking forward to getting these completed and on my wrist soon!

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
That's what I thought too, since the polished parts of my unrefinished 6138-3000 don't look so shiny. Do you have any photos of the proper, untouched sides of the case, by any chance?
Most of my photos are at wrong angles to show case lines to any degree and my two examples have been lightly refinished by hand.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Tom that is a gorgeous watch....wow

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
Thanks guys!

That's one of Sweadfreaks H link bracelets and I got the end links from Sekosis on the bay.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bracelet on mine I think is a replacement from a 6138-8030. It has the correct SpeedTimer clasp, though. I haven't seen those end-links on sale for a few months now, sadly.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The bracelet on mine I think is a replacement from a 6138-8030. It has the correct SpeedTimer clasp, though. I haven't seen those end-links on sale for a few months now, sadly.

Yes, I was thinking it looked like the 8030 bracelet. My 8030 is missing its bracelet and I've studied a few on eBay in the hope of finding one. In the meantime, it looks good on a black leather rally strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi,

Please let me know what is meant by 'radial' in reference to the brushed pattern on the top surface of the Kakume.

I would take it to mean that the brush lines are 'radial' like rays of the sun (from the center to the circumference of a circle), as opposed to 'circular' lines which are more like 'concentric circles', the brushed pattern used in most Seiko divers.

Thanks in advance!

I recently picked up this JDM 6138 0030 and have been wondering about the case finishing. I know the top has not been refinished since it has the correct radial brushed pattern. I was hoping some of you experts could help me with the sides of the case, do they look to be original or refinished? Thanks in advance!

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
I think circular brushed finish would describe the top case finish.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thank you very much for the quick response!

Btw, you made a lovely bracelet set-up on your Kakume! I wished I could mimic it, but unfortunately the Seikosis end-links are no longer available.

Thanks again on the brush pattern clarification, really appreciated your attention.

Regards,
Romualdo

·
Registered
787 Posts
Please let me know if the lug areas/ends have also brushed finish. I have observed that some untouched examples of the Kakume have a faint vertical brushed pattern, which I assume is the factory finish.

I would appreciate getting your opinion on this.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts