The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering for some time now if the 6138-0030 Champagne dials come in two different variations. The one with an orange minute track and Speedtimer text is a known example but I've also seen several examples with a yellow minute track and Speedtimer text. At first I was thinking maybe the dials had faded on the yellow minute track version but this may be incorrect and there may actually be two versions.
Here is what I have noticed. On the orange minute track version they seem to come with either yellow chrono + sub register hands or Yellow. On the Yellow minute track version I have only seen Orange chrono + sub register hands. It seems if the minute track was faded from orange to yellow the chrono + sub dial hands would also be faded but this is not the case.

First up is one of mine.........

Next are some borrowed photos of examples with the yellow minute track..........

So, what say you??

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like all the Experts have left for greener pastures........:eek:

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I strongly believe they are two separate color sets of dials. The reason I say this is that I have seen bright orange, bright yellow, various stages of faded orange and faded yellow, but never one that looks like it is fading from orange to yellow. Last but not least, the brighter yellow ones are clearly a shade that could never be achieved by orange fading.

Looking at all the other normal indicators of fakery such as text alignment issues, dial code font etc. there is little doubt in my mind that the yellows are original.

I'll stop short of a definitive statement, but I would buy either color.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi!! This is my 1974 JDM yellow 5 sports Speed-Timer, bought around 8 years ago and I think is original. In my opinion,there may be two colours of this model, orange and yellow, but not sure about it. The chrono hands of mine are creamy, perhaps a faded yelow? I would like to know!!! Regards.
Luis.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys for your input. It's especially nice to have you chime in AJ! I appreciate your help with a question I've had for some time about these 6138's. I have a Yellow min.track version inbound and after looking at this series had come to the conclusion that there was both a yellow and orange min. track version. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Thanks Guys for your input. It's especially nice to have you chime in AJ! I appreciate your help with a question I've had for some time about these 6138's. I have a Yellow min.track version inbound and after looking at this series had come to the conclusion that there was both a yellow and orange min. track version. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
No problem Tom, good to be back on the forums for a bit. Hope to be able to help..

Hope your well...

Cheers.. AJ

·
Registered
145 Posts
Late to the discussion, but here are some pics of my Yellow Kakume.
Not able to directly compare since I don't own an Orange Kakume, but I am farily convinced that this is a distinct variant as opposed to just a faded Orange variant.

ben
Singapore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts