The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking this because I don't have a 6119 sport diver available to me at this moment.

The internal bezel - will it always turn no matter what position the stem is at (in, out, time-setting etc), or will it only turn if it's in the regular position?

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Spencer said:
I'm asking this because I don't have a 6119 sport diver available to me at this moment.

The internal bezel - will it always turn no matter what position the stem is at (in, out, time-setting etc), or will it only turn if it's in the regular position?
I may be wrong, but, I believe that it only turns when in the normal position.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My suspicion is that the stem won't turn the bezel if it's out of the standard position - it has a fixed position gear, not a sliding spring-loaded one like a 6139.

I sold a 6119 with a bezel and gear in perfect condition, and the buyer is now telling me that the bezel won't turn, and I know the components were perfect when it left me.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Spencer said:
My suspicion is that the stem won't turn the bezel if it's out of the standard position - it has a fixed position gear, not a sliding spring-loaded one like a 6139.

I sold a 6119 with a bezel and gear in perfect condition, and the buyer is now telling me that the bezel won't turn, and I know the components were perfect when it left me.
Sounds like the buyer just may not comprehend.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly. I just wish I had one in my hands so I could try it out, but I'm pretty certain this is the case.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheTigerUK said:
Just checked on a 6119-6020 and the internal bezel turns only when in the first position once pulled out only the hands turn.

THANK

YOU

!!!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Just checked mine as well. the bezel only turns when the crown is in neutral position.. The same goes fr the 6106.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As always, I'm very grateful for this forum and you guys.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just to concur, the indicator will turn only with the crown in the "0" position.

All Seiko models with an internal rotating index ring have the special stem with the square section to hold the indicator wheel (gear), the indicator wheel and the spring.

There are four distinct versions of this arrangement and the hard parts are NOT interchangeable. One can, however, fudge the springs.

The gear on the stem is held by the spring so it contacts the indicator gear track when the stem is in it's "0" position. When the stem is pulled out to its "1" position for setting the hands, the gear is pulled away from the indicator so its position will not change while the time is being set.

The reason for this somewhat elaborate detail is to prevent the gear from damaging the plastic gear track of the indicator when the stem is inserted to the movement. The spring allows the gear to slide back from the track during insertion, then snap into its correct position as the stem turns hits home.

Here's part of a note to one of my customers regarding why the indicator in his 6110-6106 blue "sushi" would not operate. This was truly vexing and proved the parts will NOT interchange...

"Why your stem was incorrect is a matter of speculation, of course, but I imagine the original may have broken or the whole stem set, stem, crown, gear and spring went missing as sometimes happens. Whomever did the repair picked a stem meant for another model whose diameter is slightly larger than this one by what turned out to be 0.30mm, not my eyeball guess of 0.15mm.

Here's a drawing I did to show what the stems look like and how they differ at that center portion...

end quote

The incorrect stem held the indicator wheel just a hair away from the indicator's gear track. This was very fortunate because incorrect parts in the stem set can and, far more often than I would like to see, damage the indicator's gear track which cannot be repaired.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've written the buyer back, but haven't heard from him all day. We'll see. My fear is that he took the watch apart to inspect it, and didn't put it back together properly. The bezel ring and stem were both fine when the watch went out - the ring would do a full 360 degrees.

Thanks for the info, Jonathan. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Always a pleasure to try to help. I hope your buyer didn't mess-up a perfectly good timepiece.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
One question:

De little rotor that makes the inner ring rotate... I have a lot of sportsdivers that are without it.
Would it be a good thing to be selling those rotors?

I might just have found a few of them ;)

·
Administrator
30,103 Posts
robbie409 said:
One question:

De little rotor that makes the inner ring rotate... I have a lot of sportsdivers that are without it.
Would it be a good thing to be selling those rotors?

I might just have found a few of them ;)
I read a post some time back saying how useful it would be to get a supply of these Rob, I think Jonathan said there were different ones as well but i don't know.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the buyer had my watch for three days, during which time I heard nothing. Now he's saying that it never worked. *shrugs*

I'm trying to get him to send it back to me so I can see what he did to it, but he's trying to angle for a guarantee of a full refund before he sends it back, which I won't agree to. I wonder what he did to that poor 6119...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
I read a post some time back saying how useful it would be to get a supply of these Rob, I think Jonathan said there were different ones as well but i don't know.
I have found 20 x 998613: for the 6106, 6117, 6119, 6139 ;D
The spring I got with it has number 998611 (not 998611?).

A fellow member mailed me the link to the posting of Jonathan, so now I have the partnumbers :) Don't be surprised if all my inner rotors will be working soon.

One sad thing, the stems are not easy to get, so you nee a correct stem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts