The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my first post but I’ve been a long term follower of this site and always seem to find an answer to any problem or question I have without starting a new thread. I have been teaching myself to repair watches for a couple of years now. I want to remove a damaged balance spring and replace with a good one I have that’s on a balance wheel with a broken pivot. Tried removing damaged one first (with Bergeon collet levers) but seems very tight. I have removed Swiss ones with no trouble. Am I missing something or are they just pressed on very firmly. Any suggestions graciously received.
Rob

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Welcome Rob,
Yes, they can be very tight. But you may be encountering a problem you don't need (at least for now), because hairsprings and balances are matched at the factory based on weight, so it is not standard practice to mix and match in a service setting. You may very well find that the timing range is not acceptable once you did do the swap.
If a pivot is damaged, one should replace the staff, or the complete balance. The 61 series balance wheels have very thin arms that deform easily, I'd recommend replacing the balance complete if you aren't adept at staffing yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Rob,
Yes, they can be very tight. But you may be encountering a problem you don't need (at least for now), because hairsprings and balances are matched at the factory based on weight, so it is not standard practice to mix and match in a service setting. You may very well find that the timing range is not acceptable once you did do the swap.
If a pivot is damaged, one should replace the staff, or the complete balance. The 61 series balance wheels have very thin arms that deform easily, I'd recommend replacing the balance complete if you aren't adept at staffing yet.
Thanks Noah, not at staffing yet, close just need a bit more confidence. So for now just swapping a complete balance is a simple and sensible fix. When I’m ready I’ll ask for any tips on staffing if those balance arms so delicate.
Thanks Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts