The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wearing the 6117 sparingly over the last couple of days and the watch had stopped about 20 minutes before the current time.
I rest the watch, put it on, got ready for work and hopped on the motorcycle for my morning commute.
Over the 25 minute ride to work, the watch had lost 4 minutes.
Are these 4 minutes missing just because the watch had reached zero reserve and is going to be slow for a while until the reserve is wound back up?
Of did it lose the 4 minutes because of the vibration from my motorcycle ride? Are there any concerns wearing an automatic on a motorcycle? (The bike may vibrate a little more, it is over 50 years old.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did ride home and I did not lose any time, ha.
No minutes lost on the watch, the commute home is always longer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Maybe you just rode a bit faster than normal and got there early :)

Seriously, (I am not an expert but that last time I passed this on it worked) the spring may be hooked up a bit inside the watch - tap the watch firmly just once against the palm of your other hand and that might just solve the problem.
Don't be too gentle or there is no point, but don't try and do it so hard that it's like hitting the floor. Test the timing before trying once or twice more and if it still doesn't work it's probably a quick fix for a watch gynaecologist, Good luck!

PS how about a pic of watch and bike or tell us what the bike is anyway?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Welcome to the forum R50us68! Hmmm I think I see a hidden meaning in your nickname ;)

Nothing wrong with BMW motorcycle rides with Seiko watches :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
215 Posts
That's a nice bit of kit, Tony - leading link fork, drum brakes and is that a Steib sidecar? In the second pic you seem to have an extra headlight I can't see in the first... we'll see if you're right about 'R50'.
As an ex-police motorcyclist I rode BMWs and wore Seikos of various types for many years and now have a hankering for one of the new water cooled twins (the petrol tanks aren't lined by hand and signed underneath anymore - but what more does one need?) :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Sorry Peter in headless chicken mode today and made worse as I have busted up foot :)

It's a 1961 R69 with the Steib sidecar (drum brake chassis). The other light on the Steib is a BMW optional extra added for night vision not looks ;) The steib under went a full resto this last winter as did the engine for the first time in 35 years. The bike has been to the Isle Of Man TT's for 36 years on the trott now doing a non stop 250 miles too and from the ferry and then a full two to three weeks around the Island. You'd never get a Brit bike being able to do that I'm sure. Then the bike does another 15,000 miles per year running around at least and to date has 'never' broke down apart from the odd broken spoke and puncture.

In fact a friend has one he's owned from new (1959) which is just coming up to 250,000 miles and has never had the heads off or the clutch changed! He does change the oil every 1500 miles though. Serious bits of kit :) Got about 20 needing restoration if you want one including Steib sidecars of all flavours ;)

Watch out the new BMW's are trouble with a capital T. Not made like they once were :( Anything after 2002 will give you serious issues believe me. That goes for their cars too.

My father is a ex met police traffic officer (bikes and cars) of 30+ years btw :) Although his motorcycle days are long gone. He just admires mine and my friends bikes now.

My father with his horrible noddy after he restored the pile of crap!

My father testing out a Suzuki back in the 80's for the Met.

Sorry to jump over your post R50us68 won't do it again!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I love the look of that and it makes me want another bike :)

ps: At one time i had a BSA A10 with a double adult side car, i hated the bloody thing :)
Double adult sidecar on a A10... John your a brave brave man! :bowing: or totally insane I'm not sure which!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thx for the pix Tony, will send a pm tonight & chat when more time.... had a Craven box just like that and don't ask me why I find bar-end indicators sexy as hell....

Sorry to jump over your post R50us68 won't do it again! like Tony said.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Seriously, (I am not an expert but that last time I passed this on it worked) the spring may be hooked up a bit inside the watch - tap the watch firmly just once against the palm of your other hand and that might just solve the problem.
Don't be too gentle or there is no point, but don't try and do it so hard that it's like hitting the floor. Test the timing before trying once or twice more and if it still doesn't work it's probably a quick fix for a watch gynaecologist, Good luck!
I think the "fix" you're referring to applies to the 7S26B. The watch in question has different regulator curb pins. In any case, it's always best to remove the case back and have a look (or have a watchmaker do it). Further, if the hairspring has jumped free of the regulator curb pins, the watch will run way too fast, not slow.

I suspect the the OP's watch wasn't wound enough before wearing and/or is in need of a service.

Best wishes,
Myles

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem taking the thread somewhere else as the question was answered
Plus combining two passions in one thread is not a problem
new passion
(I tried to post some pictures of my bikes but it looks like I have to have posted more then 2 times to post pictures. )
I was riding a 1953 R51/3 with the Navigator
I also have a 1968 R50US which is the story behind my user name.
Maybe after a couple more post I can show some pictures

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks R50, I bow to Myles superior knowledge.

Not heard of BMW nomenclature ending in US before - surely not to do with States, like Triumph Bonneville America (which is rather ironic as that's where the salt flats are anyway)?

I would offer to post pics for you but in 4 years of new forum since Newtwork54 I haven't mastered the method of posting pics or getting smilies to go where I want them, rather pathetic I know, and with a new watch on the way (first in four years) (SUN019) it's something I do intend to rectify soon, at long last.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In 1968 BMW replaced some of the the Earles Forks with standard telescopic sprung forks, the same that would end up on the 1970 R60:75/5. They called these bikes R50:60:69US
Some bikes continued with the Earles, and I believe that the telescope bikes went (mostly?) to the USA.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
In 1968 BMW replaced some of the the Earles Forks with standard telescopic sprung forks, the same that would end up on the 1970 R60:75/5. They called these bikes R50:60:69US
Some bikes continued with the Earles, and I believe that the telescope bikes went (mostly?) to the USA.
I have two nice US bikes. A lovely 69US in white with tele's 1968 and a R60 built around 1956 but I can't remember exactly without digging through the paper work. The US R69 rides like a dream but has a fat seat on it which spoils the looks in my humble. Obviously folk in the USA in the 1960's had wider arses than folks in the UK :)

I also have a WW2 Wehrmacht that needs restoring. Driven sidecar and 8 speed gearbox with 2 reverse gears ;) Still has the machine gun mount in the sidecar and a spare wheel carrier.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Nice watches those Navigators. Love wearing mine probably as much as any other watch I own if not more :)

Now there is that fat seat I was talking about :D

Nice bikes joking aside. Love the fairing. That bike looks like its doing 100mph standing still!

Excellent!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts