The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got done with a resto on a sweet little 6106

Movement Hacks, features double-quick set date & day, automatic (only) hums like a top at 21.6Kbph.

This movement is the base for the 6138- & 6139- chronos, and eventually the 36,000 bph 6146 Grand Seiko and 6185 and 6186 GS VFA's (Very Fine Adjusted).

Why so little talk or love shown for this fine movement ? Any ideas at all?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I was going to ask a stupid question, but won't as I know the answer.

The question was going to be does the 6106 come in various jewel counts.

The answer is obviously yes, because the one in GoD's :)grin:) post has 17J, and my one and only (also a DX, but a Weekdater) has 25J

'69 6106-8060 DX M110 Sealion Weekdater

So the less daft question is how many variations are there ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 6106 away having some minor work done on it at the mo. Looking forward to it return as it's a gorgeous little thing.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I was going to ask a stupid question, but won't as I know the answer.

The question was going to be does the 6106 come in various jewel counts.
So the less daft question is how many variations are there ?
Hi Danny! No such thing as a stupid question . . . and certainly not in this case.

I have it from very reliable sources that the 6106 was released in 3 different revisions (or "revs.", if you will). The first, the 6106A, came out in 1967 and had 25 jewels. The 6106B came out in 1968 (the same year the 6105 came out), and it came in two versions, one with 17 jewels and one with 25. Finally, in 1969 rev. "C" came out, and it had 3 versions, a 17-jewel, a 23-jewel, and a 25-jewel version (!). I think the reason for all the different variations was simply economics. The 17-jewel versions were supposed to be for low-end watches, and I imagine that the oddball 23-jewel version was supposed to be for some mid-range market.

I think that after all the 6106s that I've bought over time, I now have samples of each of these different versions, and of each of the three different revs. I suspect that one reason for so little mention of the 6106s is that it seems that relatively few 6106 divers were ever made, and it seems, mostly for the JDM arena. So, most 6106 watches floating around today are dress or utility watches, and those seem to get much less attention than divers. But it's a great little movement, keeps great time, and all 3 revs hack! Does it get much better than that?

So, sorry for the long and convoluted answer, Dan, but the fact is that the answer is . . . kind of long and convoluted :(. About the OP's original question: SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Let's not start a whole 'gold-rush' thing over this great little movement!

Vic

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stupid question regarding the 6106 movement -- I can quickset the date complication but is there quickset on the day setting?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stupid question regarding the 6106 movement -- I can quickset the date complication but is there quickset on the day setting?

Push the crown half way in, date change, keep pushing farther it should change the day. If not could be crud under the crown limiting travel, take it out and clean it and try again.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Push the crown half way in, date change, keep pushing farther it should change the day. If not could be crud under the crown limiting travel, take it out and clean it and try again.
It depends on what 6106 you have too. A 6106a doesnt have the quickset and the 6106b not either i beleive.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Aloha ,
I have a 6106-8100 myself but .... Never Has Been Used... because of the
...... Excessive Shorted Bracelet it came with. Probably will need about .... 6 to 8 more links to be used.
Problem is it needs a ... New Dial because of the excessive Oil Smear on it when I got it.
I have never used this watch and it has been in the box for some time now.
Have been looking a long time to find one but looks like they are very rare.
But it works just great and keeps good time also.The Dial can be any color just so it can be used again.
Aloha
Louis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
I own 10 different watches using the 6106 A/B/C movements. Only second to the 6119 movements I own (11).

6106 is a rock solid, bulletproof movement - a real workhorse and some of the best looking Seikos were built around it.

Shhhhh. lets not tell anyone. They are still affordable.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
It depends on what 6106 you have too. A 6106a doesnt have the quickset and the 6106b not either i beleive.
Correct - true quickset for day/date came in the "c" version. But moving the hands back and forth thru midnight to change the day isn't too big of an inconvenience IMO.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@kenl000 - if when crossing midnight the day changes to the next day in the same language, you have a 6106A or 6106B. Like the guys above stated you just cycle the time back and forth between say 10 pm and say 3 am to get the right day. Then push in crown until the date is correct.

However if when crossing midnight the day wheel has a second language then you have a 6106C. In that case it just takes a deeper push of the crown to change the day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts