The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys in the period of time waiting for my stem extensions to arrive I managed to find a couple of hours last night to rebuild my 6105B, the tech manuals I've grabbed off this site are good but following the lines on the diagrams is a little difficult due to the clarity of the copying, is there a hi def version of them?
Anyway I have a slight problem, on reassembling I had to change the main spring so I grabbed a barrel and spring from a donor 6139 and fitted that, I then hit a snag trying to locate the escape wheel lower pivot in the jewel, had a closer look and the pivot had snapped off, so back to the donor 6139 I looked up the part numbers for the escape wheel and they are the same so I fitted that aswell, with all wheels fitted and bridges screwed in place, I left the auto wind mechanism off and wound the mainspring with a screw driver and nudged the balance which is free moving.
I got nothing, I looked and looked I removed the balance to check all wheels are in jewels just incase, i nudged the pallet fork and noticed that it didnt flick over so there was no power getting to the escapement.
At the moment I can't figure out why this might be, mainspring fully wound the whole train free moving but no power at the escapement.
I'm not after a miracle answer as I know it's impossible to give, but any suggestions would be appreciated, but I will do another strip etc and rebuild and see if I can get it all moving and will keep you all informed of my slow progress in getting this piece back up and running.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Firstly i am no expert, but i have built several movements with the same result as you.
What i have learned from the pro's on this site is, after checking the gears for worn broken pivots, missing teeth, rust, dirt etc is to shake each wheel to test for side play and end-float. Too much end float and the wheel might rise up and disengage from its counter wheel, to much side play and it might tilt over and disengage from or jam up its counterpart.
Again im no expert but i always fit the mainspring and train assy first with the bridge. with pallet assy and balance assy removed the gentlest nudge on the barrel with a cocktail stick should send the escape wheel into a frenzy.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Ivor, I,ll go back through all the train etc over the next few days, I'm pretty busy at work at the mo somits going to be a slow process I,m afraid.
Thanks also 7s26b thats a much clearer tech manual, I might even be able to print that out on the laser printer at work thanks for the link

·
Registered
912 Posts
As Ivor mentioned take out the pallet fork and balance. There is now nothing to stop the whole thing unwinding....it should be fairly easy to see what has 'jammed' or what is not engaging on what.

7s26b, another fine offering of the correct tech guide, your always there to offer the right thing, always noticed!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys the balance and fork are removed and nothing happened no movement, so I will investigate further to see whats not engaging or not seating right.
As for the stem, I haven't got it fitted, I'm waiting for an extension to arrive soni can have a full stem.
The hacking lever isn't in place as of yet, I was just putting the train together for a test of parts before a full build.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys a quick update on this ongoing project, well I done a complete strip right the way down to the bare plate, surprisingly easy, it's the first seiko I've actually stripped so no pressure working on this icon of a watch then.
Well, back at my bench proper before I stripped it down I had a proper look at the train and could find nothing out of place to stop the drive getting to the escape wheel and pallet fork. I nudged the escape wheel back and forth when the whole train started to unwind, albeit a little slow, so I diagnosed a completely dirty movement and commenced with the strip and clean.
When all was back together apart from the balance as I wanted to make sure the pallet fork would flick over when nudged, well it didnt so then proceeded to investigate further, first thought was the mainspring, I'd taken it from the donor 6039 movement and kept it in its own barrel, well the donor movement looked like it had been soaking in engine oil, I had taken the barrel apart and soaked the mainspring in meths to get rid of the worst of the gunk and then dried it, then lightly oiled with some movement oil (I don't have graphite grease at the moment).
Anyway I had to go back to the mainspring as that was number one culprit so I took out the barrel and bravely decided to completly take out the spring ( not the first time I've done this though ok) predictably it came out with a large amount of power shooting the barrel across the room in the process.
Well I totally cleaned the spring and dried it and gave it a light coating of
Oil, on attempting to replace it back in the barrel part of the bridle snapped off, I carried on just I see if I could get the train to actually move on its own ( I was gettin a new main spring anyway) when another part of the bridle snapped off.
I've given up on this spring now, oh and what was left of my stem, as that bloody snapped again aswell during a small amount of straightening, which makes the stem
Extensions I've just ordered from Chuen abit of a waste.
So my shopping list is as follows
1 stem
1 mainspring
1 crown or find someone that can drill out the stem that's in it

I will get this 6105 8810 working as it should

1 - 10 of 10 Posts