The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Incredible workmanship. He offered me a range of tints for the lume. In the end I sent him a close up from a mint 6105 which he matched spot on.

I did not ask that he clean the dial or polish the frames, but he did both.

I wish I could find my macro lens to show the detail on the second hand.

THERE SHE GLOWS!

I know that many people have strong feelings regarding the reluming of vintage watches. But for me personally, I like it to look as clean as possible on my wrist.

Thank you Guy

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Thanks John. I hope you are happy. Is the minute hand ok there or is that the crystal bending light just in from the centre?

I think if we can track you down an original seconds hand it will be the icing on the cake. I just realised I still have your 2nd am seconds hand here! I'll get that sent back shortly.

Just to show what the previous lume job was here is how it arrived after cleaning slightly.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
well excellent work again my friend.....you are a real talent my friend....we all thank u for being here with us....

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why did you relume it in the first place if i may ask? :eek:hmy: It looked good as it were imo, especially the dial.
I understand that to most collectors re-luming considered as heresy. The original and beautiful patina is not something you can get from the shop they say. It takes time and it gives a vintage watch a great deal of character and originality that will be destroyed forever with a re-lume. I understand also that reluming a collectible old watch will reduce its investment potential.

On the other hand, if the owner intends to wear the watch (as I do) and never sell it, and the relume work is carried out by an artistic professional (i.e., Guy) so that the end result looks as close as is humanly possible to the OEM lume, then why not? Moreover, a dial with exhausted lume that no longer does what it was intended for strikes me as kind of useless. If I 'destroy' the value by making this watch capable of performing as it should, so be it.

In the end arguing over reluming controversy can only lead to hard feelings and possible bloodshed. It may be wiser to avoid this contentious topic, and instead discuss less thorny issues such as the existence of God, the wisdom of Brexit, or politics. :p

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Seiko Hoarder;2322554 ...... ...an artistic professional (i.e. said:
Agree with everything you said but please bear in mind I'm no professional, and I am learning... Just don't want it to sound like I think this is my profession. Many way more skilled and experienced people out there than me...

Thank you tho SH...:)

So...God eh? Guess he knew brexit would happen....:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts