The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , bought this 6105 when i first started to collect seiko divers now have loads !.i didnt pay much attention to the worn dial at first but would like to spruce it up now , the minute markers are worn away on one side and the seiko badge has been squashed . of course it could do with a re lume and a proper seconds hand any advice can the markers and badge be fixed , funny enough it keeps near perfect time. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If I remember correctly Tiger did a swap on one of the Seiko sections on a 6105 dial, looked very good but a tricky job as there is always the potential to damage the dial, worth checking the old mirror site for the original post.

Geran

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Hi I have changed quite a few logos now on 6105s and one or two others, as you say a tricky job but well worth doing especially on the 6105 dials as for some reason the logos seem to deteriorate on them were as i have some older Seiko and the logos are perfect.

As for the min markers then i think they need to be done by a dial restorer which i think is not cheap.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Oh yeah I'm in the same boat here. I got my Seiko logo, bent out of shape and its really got me hating my 6105. :(

I'd really have to change it as I'm really torn to flipping it at a loss, just because of this and few other reasons I'm hating. My mistake for picking up a disaster hoping I'd like it eventually. :(

How to change, and where to get which logo from?

Really appreciate your experience John. ;)
Thanks.
Dave

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
The logo's i have used have just been from donor dials i had at the time with the correct size.

Basically to change it, just remove the new logo from the donor by lightly(couple of thou with a .5mm drill)drilling and pushing from the rear of the dial, normally braised on or glued taking great care not to bend or distort it when removing it.

Then do the same on your 6105 dial, this can often be quite difficult as the 6105 i think was braised and then a gash ground on the back which makes it hard to find the pins, but it is easier in some ways as it dosent matter if the old logo gets bent.

Then position the new logo in the location holes on the recipient dial, make sure totally in place and in the hole and then just a tiny drop of super glue at the rear of the dial.

Works for me.

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Dial makeover.
While changing the Logo it is also a good time to tidy up old or wabied hands unless you like them wabied. I have had what i consider decent results on hands that looked totally shot.

Here is a set of hands that are actually on my 6105 at present (i do have a NOS set but saving them for something special some time LoL) as you can see in the first picture they looked really rough, but a clean up, relume and on the watch to the naked eye they look quite acceptable IMO.

Then just relume the dial replace or have the crystal polished and any mediocre dial and handset can look quite nice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi There ;D

As John pointed out, the minute hash marks are going to be diffecult to reproduce by hand, I would be hard pressed to suggest a human hand could do a job that would be undetectable to the naked eye. This you may have to live with, whether you get them redone by hand or not. Much of it depends on what acceptable to you.

As far as the Emblem goes. This particular "Matt" finished emblem is very rare, only being used on the 6105 divers and some 7a28 (as pointed out by Noah Riley some time ago). This is complicated by the fact that these emblems do not always come off perfectly, usually when you see one bent, its because someone may have tried removing the emblem, and it got damaged, they are extremely fragile and once bent, you simply cant bend them back to the point the it hides the bend.

Baring being able to find either or these two watches at a price that makes tearing the emblem off the dial worth it, you can still change the emblem, but you`ll be forced to use either a bright silver emblem, or the gold emblems found on the rest of the Seiko line.

This of course may give you an oppertunity to Bling it up a bit, if you like, :D ...........................................

Cheers,
Randall

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was JUST going to mumble something similar...
that to my surprise, after spending a few weekends dissecting dials.
that not emblems are created equal.

Then I remembered seeing some really good photo's illustrating the difference.
Its hard to see in lots of photo's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Simply stunning!!

DrSeiko said:
Hi There ;D

As John pointed out, the minute hash marks are going to be diffecult to reproduce by hand, I would be hard pressed to suggest a human hand could do a job that would be undetectable to the naked eye. This you may have to live with, whether you get them redone by hand or not. Much of it depends on what acceptable to you.

As far as the Emblem goes. This particular "Matt" finished emblem is very rare, only being used on the 6105 divers and some 7a28 (as pointed out by Noah Riley some time ago). This is complicated by the fact that these emblems do not always come off perfectly, usually when you see one bent, its because someone may have tried removing the emblem, and it got damaged, they are extremely fragile and once bent, you simply cant bend them back to the point the it hides the bend.

Baring being able to find either or these two watches at a price that makes tearing the emblem off the dial worth it, you can still change the emblem, but you`ll be forced to use either a bright silver emblem, or the gold emblems found on the rest of the Seiko line.

This of course may give you an oppertunity to Bling it up a bit, if you like, :D ...........................................

[img]

Cheers,
Randall
[/quote]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts