The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to bury this one in the wrong forum on my first post! Here we go...

Hi there, new member here... I recently picked up a 6105-8119 that is in good shape and keeps good time but its locking crown lacks a gasket entirely. I'd like to install a new gasket or, as I've read elsewhere, swap out the crown entirely, as some have suggested is easier. First off, any advice on either approach and where I can source the gasket and/or crown/stem? Ebay seems to be slim pickings. I'm happy with an aftermarket solution too.

Secondly, there's a distinctive "tinkling" rattle when I wear the watch, as if the movement ring is loose. I had the exact same experience with a 6105-8000 a while ago. The movement ring seems to fit well in the case with the spring intact, so is this noise normal for these watches or is installed wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Well hello and welcome to the forum....we are glad to have you with us...well the gasket for the crown is very easy to find...i would not alter the crown as that is quite unique to the 8100 series...does it twist to lock in place?...replacing the entire crown is quite involved and will devalue the watch too..with the rattle...make sure the weight is not hitting the back cover or the movement spacer is not rubbing on it too...and make sure the weight screw is tight too...any of those will give you the noise ...when you can add some pics too...you need 5 posts to do this...take a look around the site...interact with other threads...if you need any help..feel free to pm me...God Bless and nice to meet you John
here is some pics of what is should look like
these are borrowed from our good friend Stefan...he sells NOS Seiko parts too...so if you need anything...he is your go to...

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, jringo8769. From other reading, I understood that replacement of just the crown gasket requires press fitting the washer on top and that it was more difficult than simply replacing the crown. Have you found gasket replacement to be an easier task?

I'll double check the rotor for looseness.

Thanks again! Great forum here!

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
hey the gasket replacement is not that terrible...well worth taking the time to do ...it is a little fussy to get the old one out...and you can use some seiko silicone to install it...i just worked on a 7c43 that the seals and gaskets were completely hard and very difficult to remove...but i was able to remove them all..just takes some time to remove them....God Bless John

·
Registered
628 Posts
hey the gasket replacement is not that terrible...well worth taking the time to do ...it is a little fussy to get the old one out...and you can use some seiko silicone to install it...i just worked on a 7c43 that the seals and gaskets were completely hard and very difficult to remove...but i was able to remove them all..just takes some time to remove them....God Bless John
Hi
Have you the dimensions of the crown gasket in question ? I quite fancy having a go at replacing mine, I have a staking set and would like to find more uses for it
Seikola

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well i just used a 6309 gasket set on my 7c43...it is what i had...from what i found it said it was correct..i will see if i have a extra one to get some dimensions from...you are referring to the 7c43 or the 6105...

·
Registered
628 Posts
well i just used a 6309 gasket set on my 7c43...it is what i had...from what i found it said it was correct..i will see if i have a extra one to get some dimensions from...you are referring to the 7c43 or the 6105...
Hi
It's the 6105 size I'd like, they have only ever been sold as part of the crown so I can't just decipher the part number like I would any other Seiko crown gasket so the dimensions would be very handy if you have them
Seikola

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It is definitely worth spending some time to remove the old gasket and spend some time trying to find a size that fits good and seals properly. You could buy an new reproduction crown but that will devalue you watch. Genuine Seiko crowns are not only hard to find but are also very expensive. $50 dollars is not unheard of to have to part with to get you hands on a genuine Seiko 65W02NS1 crown and you could possible need a new stem depending if the old stem wants to come out and that could be another $20 bucks.

Michael

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well i think i have a source with the correct gasket....i will ask him this question...i need to know for myself as i am building a 6105 81xx series myself...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a followup to my first post... I have an NOS 6105 crown/stem on order and I figured out my rattle. Not the movement retainer. I've narrowed it down to the bezel. I suspect the bezel gasket needs replacement. Might as well go ahead and swap out all the gaskets on this one.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well that is great news...and that is a great idea as well...never hurts to get a new gaskets and seal set...please keep us updated and please take some pics when you can too..God Bless John

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Just be prepared to part with some cash if you want good original Seiko gaskets. They are not cheap but well worth the price.

Michael

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
very well said Mike...it is worth spending the money to get the right parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input, guys. As soon as my post count is high enough, I'll be able to PM the seller with the 6105 gasket kit in the Trading Post!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went the other route and had an aftermarket crown installed. This has allowed me to have an all original 6105-8110 back to original waterproof specs

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430479407.619733.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
But...The Watch is no longer ALL Original ;)

Lol. True. I still got original crown though. I also used aftermarket hour and minute hands to get them relumed (still have originals as well).

These were sacrifices I was willing to make to have a fully operational daily wearer birthyear Seiko that would last me another 40+ years, ya dig?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts